Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
MARTINX
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:47 pm   

multiple proxies

There's any way i can use different proxies for different sessions with cmud?
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:39 pm   

I am going to assume you're trying to break multi-playing rules by playing from different IPs, and as such I'm not going to explain how to do it. But yes it can be done.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:52 pm   

You assume too much but thanks anyway for the moral lesson, this is what i was looking for when i posted here in the "Moral Discussion" section of this forum. There's another technical forum for cmud that doesn't need absolution?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:19 pm   

Gentlemen, please let us try to maintain a decent modicum of civility.

CMud does not directly allow defining different proxy information for different sessions. The assumption being that if you need to use a proxy you will need to use it for all of your sessions. That being said you have to setup the session to connect to an appropiate proxy and then use scripts to have that proxy establish the connection to the mud.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:08 am   

Maybe if you explained what you are trying to do exactly we could help better. I'm sorry if I offended you, but the simple truth of it is that what you said makes it sound exactly like that is what you are doing. Especially considering the rash of posts here and on a few other forums I'm a member of about doing such things.

Anyways, with more details we can help you in more detail. I said it can be done, and I meant it. And there are more than one method even. SSH Tunnels, external software... etc etc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:40 am   

agree to obey the moral rule. But almost most of rules are someone's rule.
On the dummy world, need think about what way help you a exiting experience.

The above discussion are beside the point . Here this forum need be focused on tech, no moral, no rule, no human being.

Although CMUD and Zmud can't be multi-instance run, but you can run both zmud and cmud plus a route software to do multi-play.
If you didn't satisfy with 2 id play, you need think about how to let cmud or zmud multi-instance run.

maybe in the future, the expert above realize it is time to add some route command to cmud to help you achieve this.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:28 pm   

The last time I tried it looked like CMUD was multi-instance capable.

Perhaps there in lies your answer.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:37 pm   

Hey,

Let me walk you through how to do this: But first, let me give a bit of feedback on the moral issue:

I've played MUDs that have disallowed external triggers, external aliases, external mappers, bots and multiplaying. I've played MUDs that have allowed all those things too. My ultimate conclusion is that the rules of what you are allowed to do client side on a MUD is completely arbitrary. Obviously, if what you are doing is disallowed, you face the consequences of your mud staff. But that is your challenge as a user which is to make something that will help you maximize your mudding, while minimizing your risks. And thats really what Zmud/Cmud is about.

Also, I want to let you know that Zmud/Cmud has a wide set of very easy to use commands meant for playing more than one character at a time.

Now, for the information you want to hear. So I'm going to assume you already know how to set the proxy within CMUD. What you are going to want to do is set it for proxy 1, make sure proxy is enabled for your connection, and connect. Now you are connected to your mud with proxy 1. Without closing your connection window, go back to where you set the proxy, and replace the information with your 2nd proxy. Now go back to the character session screen (the one with the icons) and connect again. This will open a second connection window which will be from your 2nd proxy. Repeat for as many different proxies as you like.

Issues: If you drop or disconnect, you'll have to switch the proxy again to the one which you want to reconnect with. It unfortunately is easy to mix proxies and sessions up, so be very careful and dont rush it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

Also, you can download the above tool called tcpview which shows a list of all your connections. This way, when you connect to your mud, you will be able to confirm that you are connected to the correct proxy, because the connection between your comp and the proxy will show up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: