Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Ggoss
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 am   

A Slimmed down version of Zmud for Android

Anyone looking at doing something like this?
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:27 pm   

It won't be Zugg, if that's what you're asking. Zugg has no way to even work on zMUD since he started working on CMUD. Different compilers, different programs.

Charneus
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:14 pm   

Android as in the linux-based mobile OS? There won't be a version of zMUD because it's no longer being developed. There's very unlikely to be a version of CMUD that'll do that since Delphi, what it's written in, and all the third-party tools it uses would have to be supported by the platform. And that's just whether it'd be possible, not whether or not it'd be a good move.

In short, no. You might find another client that offers what you're after - a client with less functionality that'll work on the new OS - but it's unlikely to be Zuggsoft.

An iPhone version, on the other hand... :P

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:22 pm   

The official word: No.

zMUD and CMUD are *full-featured* MUD clients. And they are for Windows only. I don't do Linux development, and I don't do Mac (iPhone) development. I don't do "slimmed down" clients. There are plenty of basic open-source MUD clients and I'm sure someone will adapt one of them. Although honestly, I could never imagine myself trying to play a text-based MUD game on a cell phone (or other mobile device). Not with the bad keyboards (or no keyboard) and not with the slow and intermittent network connections. MUDs require a presistent telnet connection and mobile devices are designed for apps like web browsing and email that do not require a persistent connection.

Finally, I'm just one person here. Why would I spend my time on something like that which isn't what my core customers want when I am already swamped with stuff like the new mapper for CMUD (and then the new DB module, etc). Plenty of other work to do that the vast majority of my customers want more.

So lots of reasons and the answer is no. Sorry.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:35 pm   

To wit, gMUDix (which can be found on my Website) CAN be compiled on Android. With modification to the code. There, as Zugg and Fang both mentioned: An open source client you can adapt.

Secondary to this Fang... it can also probably be adapted to the iPhone, since it can be adapted for Mac :p
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:29 am   

Yeah i didn't really epext anyone to work on it, it wsa more of a pipe dream. thanks ralgith for another option. i just want something i can actually just chat with. I had found one for a windows mobile device but it was horrible had to leave the screen to enter in any text so wasn't really all that useful.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:45 am   

No problem Ggoss, I'm chock full of useless knowledge like that lol.

Disturbingly, gMUDix can do MOST of what I use zMUD for... but since zMUD works just fine under Crossover, I say screw using something that only has 2/3 to 3/4 of the stuff I need lol!

Speaking of which Fang... just blow $60 on Crossover and use zMUD in Mac that way. Not sure if you can make XOver work on iPhone or not... but yet another option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: