Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:45 pm   

Utilizing Tabs and Windows for organization

So, one of the new games I'm playing does allow for multiple characters logged on at the same time. Thusly, I decided I would much rather open two separate game sessions for the one game in one CMUD window (not the individual windows that make it up) as opposed to multiple CMUD windows. However, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to do something as simple as open up a session in a new tab. I figured there would be a button, or if you right clicked it would ask, but I cannot seem to find it. Also, I'm worried that with the auto session layout that it will want to open up both characters (which share the same session) by automatically opening two tabs and connecting to them every time. It should also be noted that I have capture windows set up, so each tab would contain two separate (untabbed) windows.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:04 pm   

I'm not sure I understand the problem; you start off talking about your MUD not allowing multis, but that seems simple enough. If you don't want to be logged in to more than one session at once, don't open more than one session at once. But then you start talking about opening new sessions in new tabs, so I'm not sure what's going on. In short, forgive me if none of this answers your question: be specific about how you've got your CMUD set up and what you're doing to it at the moment, and what you'd like it to do now.

Opening a new session in a tab with the current one is as easy as clicking the Sessions button and double-clicking on your session, or clicking the arrow next to the Sessions button and choosing from that list. Once you have more than one session open at once, the automatic saving of the layout is suspended, so don't worry about it trying to open multiple sessions in the future. The only exception to this is if you deliberately save this setup with two sessions open as a new session. This third icon would open both the other two.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:14 pm   

Well, the main MUD I play doesn't allow multi, this new one does. I only use one session for the new one, I don't divide between characters so when I double click on it nothing shows up though it connects to the new suggestion. Seems like the easiest thing to do is to make two separate sessions for the same game then?
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:56 pm   

Yes, to do this you need separate sesson files for the characters.

Note also that if you use maps, you could have a problem. I believe there is a known bug in which multiple sessions in a single instance of cmud cannot access the same map. I'm not sure whether that will be resolved in the upcoming beta.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 pm   

So, I can only open two separate sessions, I cannot open the same session multiple times. However, I'm having further issues with the capture window which often refuses to extend to the other tabs that might be using it. Additionally, I keep having to delete and recreate the sessions because they get corrupted and I get funky windows without prompts or capture windows with prompts or an all blue background... it's also hard to keep both updated, I'd like to use the same package for each, but that seemed to run into the same problems as the one session thing... can I do anything about any of this?
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:16 pm   

Rahab wrote:
I believe there is a known bug in which multiple sessions in a single instance of cmud cannot access the same map. I'm not sure whether that will be resolved in the upcoming beta.

I'm sure it will be resolved in an upcoming 3.0 beta or preview release, maybe even the next one.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:09 pm   

The different sessions should be able to share packages just fine. It is only the main sessions that need to be separate. As for the capture window, that will need to be in one of those shared packages if you want all the sessions to use the same capture window. You can keep them all updated by having all the stuff you want shared in the shared packages.

As for the corruption, sorry, no clue.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:26 pm   

I think part of the corruptions is due to the having a standard capture window for all sessions. It refuses to display the capture window for all the sessions that have it, preferring to keep it to one session and simply displaying the output of the other sessions (that's directed to the capture window) in that capture window. One time I saw it work in that the tabs were sort of... on the capture window? In that when I switched them the capture window remained, that's how it -should- work, but doesn't most of the time.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:49 pm   

That sounds like a layout issue, not a problem with packages. I don't see how that would be causing any corruptions within your packages.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:17 pm   

Well how do I fix my layout then?
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:33 am   

It depends on what the layout is. Post a screenshot of how it is now, and another of it should be.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:37 pm   

I altered some of the things that didn't matter slightly so that information would be protected.

Bad Layout, this is what it defaults to:

Good layout, if it could open like this every time...
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:06 am   

Any ideas? I know how to get it to the good layout, but it never stays.
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:19 am   

Post the XML for just the windows I think they are misorganized somehow. I may post some XML of what I create a blank session later so you can just move your triggers etc to it.

Sorry it took a while to reply, RL has been kicking my butt.
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:27 am   

Try this to do you windows.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<cmud>
<window name="Tauredae" copy="yes">
  <uid>{189D4896-7EAC-4B2B-A43D-3D30FD973F19}</uid>
  <packages>untitled</packages>
</window>
<window name="Other2" copy="yes">
  <uid>{29A6D5BB-8A86-425B-9E15-9904AFC34B56}</uid>
</window>
<window name="Capture" commandline="false" statusbar="false" dockalign="Top" copy="yes">
  <uid>{44580459-CC96-4753-BDC0-D1C915EB38AB}</uid>
  <dockuid>{189D4896-7EAC-4B2B-A43D-3D30FD973F19}</dockuid>
</window>
<window name="Other1" copy="yes">
  <uid>{88A224BA-C2B2-48DA-A154-DDFDD4A3D8FE}</uid>
</window>
</cmud>

If you want to do your existing windows your best bet is to set Capture to be 'Top' relative to Tauredae. Then set Other1 and Other2 to be tabbed relative to Tauredae. If that doesn't work, set them to be floating then dock them as tabbed to Tauredae. Save your layout (make sure it's not locked) and that should do it.
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:47 pm   

I think one of the major problems is the order in which I open them. Sometimes I only open one, sometimes I hope two. Maybe half an hour later I'll open the third. Sometimes I open Tauredae first, or then I might open Yasan. I might open Other1 first, then Tauredae, then Other2, etc...
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:33 pm   

What you are describing actually sound like multiple layouts, I'm not sure if there is any way for CMUD to keep track of all of them. Remember that layouts are based on the relative positions to your 'main' mud window and if that window isn't consistent that the docking tool can't keep track of the window layouts.

An alternative is to always open the windows, but only connect them when you want/need to.
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:49 am   

Well, ideally, and conceptually it's simple, but it is probably more difficult to code, especially since I think Zugg says he uses a third party program for the windows? Conceptually it would be like it is above. Capture would ALWAYS be on top like that, no matter what windows are open or how many. And then as I opened new sessions they would become tabs like those are there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: