Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:50 pm   

Long category names cause a visual break

On my friends page I added this as a category "efrgnmergijonergoipengoemnge;lkmsd;lgvme;lrvbme;lfbvme;lbme;lbmerpomef/.bvmeplrgmedl;bjem;bm edl;bkj3pogbkm3opghi3opbvkeopghjkebkmedl;bmerpoheogbpekjbopekjbh;lebmepobkjepobkepobjepohbmepobj4epiohjelbmdbsdm;lb".

Because it doesn't contain any spaces it can't be wrapped. Something about its sizing is causing the HeadBox to jump way down the page, which leaves a huge blank space between that and the box that titles the page.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:00 pm   

Looks like it only happens on Internet Explorer. It's the same problem as making a table 100% that causes it to be pushed down below where the content of the left floating sidebar ends. Normally I have to set tables to 99% to prevent this in IE, but adding the long category that doesn't wrap overrides this 99% size in IE.

I've added it to my list to look at.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:39 pm   

Indeed, this was a bug in IE. IE has problems with tables and floating elements (like the navigation column on the left). It's apparently a well-known problem without a good solution. Or, I should say, there are many solutions depending upon the exact circumstance. In most cases, people get rid of the tables, but in my case, I really need the table because I'm displaying tabular data.

I found a solution by wrapping the table within another DIV and setting the width of that DIV to be 99%. That seems to fool IE into not pushing the table below the left floating column.

So I think it's working now (tested on IE7).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: