Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:12 pm   

Free Trial

The FAQ mentions that there's a free trial, but neither the front page nor the account creation page mention these two facts. I think you'd want to have this loud and proud on one or both of those two pages, because that's as far as most surfers are going to get (read front page -> "oh, this is quite cool" -> create new account). They need to be told before they sign up that no money's going to be taken yet and that they get some time to try out the service.

I wonder if this wouldn't be best facilitated by having them choose their account type before entering all their details on the New Account page. Perhaps some kind of "Choose Account Type" page before that one that takes the info from the comparison chart and presents it with a mention that there's a 10 day free trial. Perhaps that info should just be on the Choose Account page, either at the top or where the "choose account type" is now. Either way, I think it might be useful to move the comparison chart for the account types onto that page as well, to reduce the amount of clicking potential users will do - anyone who's going to sign up will want to see that table, so it might as well be in the same place.

You can see what I mean on this sort of page, where you check out the table, choose your product and then enter your info. It's a fairly common formula I think, and one most people will recognise.

One other thing about the comparison chart, too - you might want to have each of the row titles be a link to somewhere (probably the FAQ) that explains exactly what each of the different things - friends, trusted contacts, categories, "last words" messages - are. Where to get that info isn't necessarily obvious from that page, and might leave some people stumped.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:30 pm   

Yep, I'm going to add that today. We are also going to run a military discount (based upon email addresses that end in *.mil) that will also be mentioned on the home page.

I'll also mention the free trial on the New Account signup page. But I don't want to split that into another page to "Choose Account". It's important to keep the number of steps and clicks needed to create a free account to the absolute minimum. That's actually why I decided to do the free trial in the first place...it's the quickest way to get someone started without bogging it down with entering all of their personal information (address, etc) up-front.

But I agree that the Account signup page needs to have a better description of the different account types, and that's something you'll see improved later today. Good idea on the links on the comparison chart too. I can easily add a "glossary" section to the FAQ.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:40 pm   

OK, I have added the Trial notification to the home page and the New Account page. I've also expanded the description of accounts on the New Account page and added links to a glossary in the FAQ (also links added to comparison chart).
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:51 pm   

Zugg wrote:
We are also going to run a military discount (based upon email addresses that end in *.mil) that will also be mentioned on the home page.

I think British Military e-mail addresses end in "mod.uk" (Ministry of Defence), although it is probably worth checking if this includes personal e-mail addresses of the British Military. I think it does - I have a couple of personal addresses for people I don't actually know that end in mod.uk. Might be good to add that before doing UK marketing.
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:29 pm   

Quote:
although it is probably worth checking if this includes personal e-mail addresses of the British Military. I think it does

Actually, my brand new brother in law is a British Naval Officer. I have an email in to him, but they are still in the first flush of newlywedded bliss, so a response will probably take a while.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:34 pm   

Well if his e-mail address ended in .mod.uk, then you pretty much have your answer...
piobaxter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:47 am   

Is there still a free trial?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: