Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:19 pm   

I'm in the middle of validating various pages

I just installed the HTML Validator extension into Firefox so that I can start going through the pages and validating them. That should clean up various issues that you might be experiencing. But I wanted to let you know about this to avoid too much duplication of effort. I'll post again to this thread when I'm done with the validation fixes.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:27 pm   

OK, I'm finished with the run-through of the HTML validator. I didn't fix any of the reported problems with having forms within tables on the main Friends page and the Trusted Contacts page. I still need to think about those.

But the rest of the pages validate, so let me know if you find anything wrong.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:28 am   

Woot! I was able to combine the forms within the tables on the Friends and Trusted Contacts pages. Now *all* pages pass the HTML Validator with zero errors (unless I missed something).

I'm pretty proud of this accomplishment. With this Validator always running in the status bar on Firefox, it's *amazing* how many validation errors most sites have. Including sites like Google.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:45 am   

Hah, that's brilliant. Even Google can't manage to stick to the standards, and it's not like their site does anything particularly fancy.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:20 am   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
Hah, that's brilliant. Even Google can't manage to stick to the standards, and it's not like their site does anything particularly fancy.

When you have a Google-level number of pageviews, you save very large $ by taking whatever liberties with standards you can to trim bytes as long as what's left still allows it to render properly in all of the common browsers.

-Tarn
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:22 pm   

That's very true Tarn, I hadn't thought about that. But while I haven't looked at their errors, in my cases the errors just involved slight tweaks and moving stuff around. Combining my forms and putting the table inside the form actually saved bytes.

But yes, in the case of the U tag, for example, changing that to a SPAN CLASS=... certainly takes up a lot more bytes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: