Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:10 am   

Cmud 'composer' in conjuration with IRE games. ATCP composer.

I was wondering if there was any way to disable cmud's reaction to IRE's atcp command client.composer

can't seem to find anyway to disable it, anyone know of a way?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:27 pm   

You can turn off ATCP in the Preferences, but that turns off *all* ATCP support, not just the compose command.

Not sure why you want to turn off the CMUD editor feature though. Isn't it a *lot* easier to edit your message in the CMUD editor rather than in the command line IRE composer?
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:36 am   

I suppose there's no real reason why I 'want' to do it, other then the editor acts weird at times, sometimes it scales its width to the text width of what it got and if I pull it to a wider width its only the window, not the editor itself that gets expanded. Though this seems to happen randomly. Which is why I would fall back on mudbots editor, it doesn't do that.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:50 pm   

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you show a screenshot when it fails like that? The Editor window in CMUD remembers the size and position where it was last opened, so it shouldn't be auto-scaling at all.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:20 am   

Zugg wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you show a screenshot when it fails like that? The Editor window in CMUD remembers the size and position where it was last opened, so it shouldn't be auto-scaling at all.

I find a similar thing in the package editor. If I resize the width of the editor window, the window itself gets bigger, but.. here. Take a look for yourself. I resized by dragging the right hand edge of the PE window, to the right. The field with the settings commands remains at its original width and part of the window behind it is bleeding through as well.

To make it happen, pick a setting with plenty of commands inside. Size the PW smallish. Close the PE. Open the PE. Select that setting. Then try resizing.

Sorry I've never reported this before, but I almost never resize the PE window any more so I had forgotten about it until Xon posted. However, the text editor window used to do a similar thing. I don't recall how to make it though, and couldn't just now so it may have been fixed for that one.

XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:34 am   

exactly the same problem, just with the editor in this case, if I resize it it won't change size.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:33 pm   

Caled, try using the View/Reset layout to default menu command in the package editor. It looks to me like the docking system layout is screwed up. I don't have any trouble at all resizing the package editor here.

XonDK: Is your editor window docked? If so, try undocking it to see if it has the same problem resizing when it is undocked.
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:35 pm   

undocked, freefloating editor
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:09 am   

Zugg wrote:
Caled, try using the View/Reset layout to default menu command in the package editor. It looks to me like the docking system layout is screwed up. I don't have any trouble at all resizing the package editor here.

I tried just now, then repeated but it does the same.

Also, for some reason most of my floating windows didn't load up just now (I probably closed them by mistake last night). When I opened the text editor (which I normally have docked (tabbed) into the floating windows on my second monitor) it was of course a default small size. When I resized it, it occurred there for me as well.

I'll try a fresh install later tonight (kinda busy in the mud at the moment.) I've been meaning to do one with an xml export/import for quite a while now anyway.
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:29 pm   

that is exactly the problem.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:00 pm   

OK, it looks like you are running some sort of Windows enhancement software. Your minimize/maximize/close icons do not look like standard Windows XP icons. So what other 3rd party software are you running? It's possible that is interferring with CMUD somehow. As I said, I cannot reproduce this problem on any of my XP or Vista computers.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 am   

All I can see is that something called 'Nview desktop manager' is installed (part of nvidia settings). But when I go into that it asks me if I want to enable NVIEW, so its apparently switched off. That may be it, I'm unsure. I'll look into that a bit more. Xon, do you have any nvidia software installed on your system?
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm   

I have the nVidia drivers/applications on my dual monitor setup. nView Desktop Manager shows pretty much everything greyed out and has the Enable button under the Desktop Management tab in the nView Desktop Manager section. Given this I definitely don't have the extra window controls that I would get if it was enabled, I can if required turn it on in order to do tests to see if it is definitely what is causing the problem. Caled if I were you I'd answer yes to enabling nView then specifically turn it off. Failing that working then try to delete all the profiles in the Profiles tab.
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:20 pm   

I've personally had problems with NView in the past myself with some other software applications. It's been a long time since I messed with it, but I definitely recommend trying to turn if off somehow and then reboot. You'll know whether it is turned off or not by looking at your window min/max/close icons to see if they are back to the XP standards or not.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:56 am   

An unfortunate incident this morning, involving coffee that did not stay in the cup where it was supposed to, made me replace my video card. So there is no more NVIEW anywhere that I can see. (New card is ati). The problem is still occurring. I sort of wonder if its XP-64?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:51 pm   

Can you post another screenshot? I don't have XP64 so I guess in theory it's possible, but I think it's highly unlikely. The problem seems to be that Windows is not sending the WM_RESIZE message to the application properly, which is why I was wondering if some 3rd party software was intercepting this and changing how the window was being painted (since your screenshot showed non-standard buttons drawing on the window caption). So since it's a low-level issue with Windows messages, it's possible that XP-64 changed something, but I'd think a lot of other applications would break because of this, so I don't know why it's just effecting CMUD.

Have you tried doing a clean install of CMUD to a new directory to see if it still fails from there?
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:18 pm   

Hmm, I wonder if it might be to do with Win64 actually, I had a problem that seemed to fall by the wayside a while ago
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30647

It always occurred when the initial sessions window was resized... WM_RESIZE related?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:16 pm   

Certainly seems like it is possibly related. Maybe in an update Microsoft changes something that avoids the system crash but ends up with the display problems shown in this thread instead? Sort of like if you just ignore an exception and let it go ahead and display however it wants.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:41 am   

If I resize the editor window in Windows Server 2008 x64 I get this

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:08 pm   

It seems that there *is* a problem with some software and Winx64 with window resizing. Here is a similar problem posted for Adobe Acrobat:
Client area doesn't resize with the window is resized on Vista
Another thread that was talking about this said:
Quote:
So it goes like this. I was just playing around to see again if I can fix this issue, I right click on desktop, personalize option, window color and appearance, chose classic appearnce settings, windows aero is the chosen one, then I click on "effects" (I really didn't know this is where the problem was coming from, I just clicked to see what was in there and how things were enabled/disabled) and NOW I ENABLED 'show window contents while dragging'.

THATS IT. Till now it was not enabled, and THIS I remember very very vaguely fooling around with few days back when this problem started. But I really did not think this could be the problem. :-) All's well now :-)

Here is a link to a thread in the Microsoft TechNet about this same problem: Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 not properly drawing window screens and they concluded that the problem was with the Logitech SetPoint software:
Quote:
I experienced this problem too, mostly in volume control, adobe reader and mmc.

On my machine the bug was caused by the Logitech Setpoint mouse driver.

So if you have a Logitech device and installed setpoint, try this: open task manager and kill "Setpoint.exe" (and setpoint.exe*32). After that, the problem was gone on my machine until the next reboot, so I had to uninstall Setpoint (do not forget to manually remove khalmnpr.exe from autorun or it keeps resetting your mouse config on every boot).

I heard somewhere that this bug is caused by an application using overlay video or something like that

Here is another link: http://news.jrsoftware.org/news/toolbar2000/msg07779.html that seems to explain what the underlying problem might be with x64.

Anyway, there seem to be enough reports on this kind of stuff the I really think it's a Winx64 issue combined with some other software or driver issues. You might want to play around with your advanced display preferences to see if any help, and you might also try running in Safe mode to see if that helps. But I'm not sure there is anything I can do on my end about this problem.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 pm   

Okay, well thanks for putting in the time. Its not really much of an issue - if you start with the window at the size you want, it works properly anyway, and XP-64 is kind of just a hacked program in a way. If I could see a good reason to upgrade to Vista I would, but in the mean time I just put up with the quick/hack job MS did to make xp a 64 bit os.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:39 pm   

No, don't give up yet. The problem is that Guinn posted means that the problem still exists in Vista x64.

Please read the post I gave above and check for something like the Logitech SetPoint program running in the background, or check the "Show window contents while dragging" setting also mentioned above. I'd like to find a workaround in case anyone else has this problem.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:47 am   

Scouring the software list Belarc produces, the only thing I can see is -maybe-

Logitech GamePanel Software Version 2.02.101 *

(Software for G15 keyboard?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: