Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:05 pm   

Any experience with elance.com?

Has anyone done any business through the elance.com site?

I have several projects that I'd like help with that I just don't have time to do myself. For example, I've always wanted to have some flash-demos of playing MUDs with CMUD to help new users and maybe attract some new customers.

So I'm thinking about putting together a work proposal and posting it to elance to pay someone to create some flash demos. I also plan to give preference for anyone who submits a bid that mentions their zuggsoft.com forum username.

This would provide a way for me to pay existing customers who want to help by creating demos or help with other projects.

I have no idea what I want to pay for this kind of help yet, but first I thought I'd post to see if anyone had any experience with this site or any similar site. It seems to be the current leading "outsourcing" site, but I'm also open to other options.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:41 pm   

I'm sure many people from the forums would be willing to create a flash video of playing a MUD with CMUD especially if you gave a copy of CMUD or CMUDPro in return. I know I would be.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:11 pm   

The tricky part is the quality control. I'd really like to get something that has both annotations and good narration. And I need to put together a list of features to be demoed. I expect that it will consist of multiple flash demos, starting with a basic "how to play a MUD" and then moving into more advanced features like creating scripts and stuff.

From what I can tell, the advantage of a site like elance is that I can put together specs and milestones and then accept the bid that meets my needs. Then the money is placed in escrow so that both parties get what they want. Doing this more casually by just posting the specs to a forum might be more difficult and subject to problems where someone could submit a video that didn't meet my specs and then complain that they didn't get paid.

So I want to proceed carefully with this.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:44 pm   Re: Any experience with elance.com?

Zugg wrote:

I've always wanted to have some flash-demos of playing MUDs with CMUD to help new users and maybe attract some new customers.

Seems someone has already done this Very Happy. Check http://vimeo.com/958048 and be sure to use full screen. It is quite high quality resolution on the video.
cmurphy54
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:06 pm   

I've used elance before both as a buyer and a provider. My advice to you would be:

Don't just go with the lowest bidder, quality there varies greatly and you'll probably get 5 - 10 bids from people who haven't even read what you are asking for.

Check references and go with someone that has a good reputation. No matter how good they seem, farm out your project in little chunks (at least initially) so you can actually verify the quality of the output yourself.

Don't put your entire budget into escrow, only fund for the next milestone. It's very difficult/impossible to get your money out of escrow at elance if you have a dispute; you don't have to release the funds to the provider, but it's very difficult to actually get the funds returned to you. Be sure to have all of the required items (including a contract, etc.) if you have any expectation of being able to get your money back.

Since you want flash demos with voice over consider splitting out this work. Have the demo created along with a script and then post another project for voice talent. That way you can take advantage of the savings you get from an offshore team for the time consuming demo and then hire someone else to do the voice work against the script produced previously if necessary.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:07 am   

Rorso: But that's an old version of zMUD. I'm talking about CMUD. And I can't just steal someone's existing video...I need to pay someone to do something specifically for CMUD that I can control the quality of. Also, I want it to use one of the MUDs in the pre-defined icon list too.

cmurphy54: Thanks for the excellent advice! I already knew about not taking the lowest bidder, which is why I'll have quality specs and will be giving preference to people who I already know in this forum. But I hadn't thought about splitting the video from the voice-track. Guess I didn't realize that was easy to do with Flash. Nice idea.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:21 am   

Actually with the proper tools, Flash is VERY easy to work with. I might even have someone who could do this for you fairly cheaply, with good quality, and feminine voice over. After all, it is a psychological fact that most men and women respond better to female narration. That little tid-bit is why the Enterprise computer was female and why many of the ships in the Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda series are also female AIs. But anyways, now I'm rambling. Let me contact Ben and find out if he still does flash work, and if he and Paula would be interested in this project. Though he doesn't MUD, it would be a team effort (as in I'd do the actual demo-ing with him providing the flash work). I'd do it JUST for the free copy of C ;)

Oh, and I'm sure he or I could easily get involved with elance so that you could feel confident in this being safe monetarily. I'll get back to you soonest on whether or not he still does flash creation.
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:52 pm   

You could also think of using something like a 'Youtube' to host such things through your 'Youtube' account. A simple "best version" competition winner gets a license and all submitted work is /legel stuff here/ now mine to redisplay/distribute/etc.

Many players blow 35$ at fast food joints a week but can't budget for CMud :)
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:10 pm   

I don't spend that much in 3 months Ton ;)

And as for Ben... he doesn't develop in flash anymore and no longer has the tools. So there goes my idea lol. He was good too. :(
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: