Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:43 pm   

[2.32] Flyout scrolling

When i give my flyout window focus, by clicking on it; using the scroll wheel on the mouse causes the main mud window to scroll instead of the flyout
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:04 pm   

Yea I noticed this too, it worked on 2.29 atleast. Same thing happens with "page up/down" buttons. Also CTRL-Z doesn't work on the child windows.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:13 pm   

I think this is a side-effect of the fact that child windows without command lines no longer steal the keyboard focus. So CTRL-Z (or any other key) still goes to the main window.

We can't have this both ways folks. Either the child window gets keyboard focus, or it doesn't. Most people seem to *not* want the child window to get keyboard focus so that their macros and stuff still work even when clicking on child windows.

So, I'm not sure what the solution to this is. If I "fix" this so that the scrollwheel, pgup/down, Ctrl-Z, etc work in child windows, then the child window *must* have the keyboard focus instead of the main session window.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:02 am   

The scrollwheel should work irregardless of focus. Having the scrollwheel work on a window/panel when the mouse pointer is within that window is very standard. That is the the way we all expect it to behave.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:49 am   

Scrollwheels send the same type of "windows message" that pressing a key does. It's a message that goes to the window with the current keyboard focus. Changing that behavior requires overridding some Windows message events.

In any case, I went ahead and tried to override this in v2.33 so hopefully it works better now. I really *hate* playing these kinds of games with Window focus. Hopefully it won't have any side effects or cause problems with 3rd party Windows enhancements.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:15 am   

Vijilante wrote:
The scrollwheel should work irregardless of focus. Having the scrollwheel work on a window/panel when the mouse pointer is within that window is very standard. That is the the way we all expect it to behave.

In Windows XP and earlier, at least (not got enough Vista experience to say), this only tends to work if you have installed specific drivers / software for your mouse (and then there tends to be an option to switch this on or off) - not if you are using the generic MS driver, where focus is sent to the active window, not the one over which the mouse pointer is. I do prefer the behaviour you state though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: