Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:07 am   

CMUD 232 Problems creating settings

When creating a setting, the name of the setting in the tree view remains blank until one does something to cause the view to be reloaded.

To test this, select a setting from the drop-down menu, give it a name and click on save.
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:50 am   

I have had long standing issues with stuff like this but I've always considered it to be a cosmetic thing and ignored it. This particular issue might be new to 2.32 tho.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:25 pm   

I think it's been doing it since 2.30, I certainly noticed it in that version. I've not reported it because like you I consider it cosmetic, I've had no crashes or corrupted settings due to it.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:29 pm   

I need a more detailed procedure to reproduce this. Here is what I did and it worked fine:

1) Run CMUD and close the Session window
2) Open the Settings Editor (ctrl-g)
3) Select New/Alias from toolbar
4) Enter "test" into the name of the alias
5) Click the Save Changes button.

The "test" was displayed in the tree as expected. So I can't get this to fail here. Maybe it only happens for certain settings? Also, check to see if your Auto Update option in the View menu is on or off (it should be on by default).
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:55 pm   

Yep save changes does make it show but I think in the past if you entered "test" as the alias name and then either tabbed or clicked into the script area to start typing your script it would show the name in the tree but now it doesn't show the name until you click save or create a new setting. I think that is what Anaristos means.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:04 pm   

Ok further information:

1) Run CMUD and close the Session window.
2) Open the Settings Editor (ctrl-g).
3) Select New/Class from the toolbar.
4) Enter "3" into the name of the Class.
5) Click Save.
6) Now select 3 in your tree with your mouse.
7) Select New/Variable from the toolbar.
8) Enter "woot" into the name.
9) Press tab.
10) Enter "mine" into the value.
11) Click Save.

You should see that the variable name does not appear in the tree.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:14 pm   

Hmm, the key step seems to be (6). If you don't click on the class in the tree, then creating the "woot" variable works. Also, it seems that once it gets into this "mode" then it stops updating the name in the tree until you close/open the settings editor again. Very strange.

In the future, please report stuff like this as soon as you see it happen! It doesn't matter if it's cosmetic or not. It might be indicative of a more serious problem. Also, at this point I have no idea when this started happening. If it had been reported right away then it would be a lot easier for me to track down the problem to a recent change.

At this point it's on the bug list, but since it's just cosmetic, it doesn't require any "quick fix".
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:23 pm   

Sorry! SadEmbarassed

I noticed it a bit back when I was busy doing something else and didn't really think about submitting it and it's only just in the last 20 minutes that I figured out that procedure.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:20 pm   

It started happening in 2.30.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:34 pm   

The reason I posted it this time and not before is that for me, the problem was not only intermittent but also rare. In this version the problem occurs in each instance. In fact, I am sure that I posted something on the subject. I am searching the forums to locate it since I am sure it wasn't a primary post but something I mentioned in passing while addressing other editor problems.
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:24 pm   

I'm getting something similar to above I believe. Though, I can create new folders/alias/trigger, it doesn't update within the tree window, until I click on one of the tabs on top into a tree window I am not looking in currently, then return back, and it's all updated there. I certainly did not have this problem before with other versions.

Basically
1) open session, I go into ALL tab in settings.
2) create new class (details in tree are blank)
3) click on module tab, then click back on ALL tab and the details (class name) is filled in.
4) I get the same thing with any other new stuff, like alias, functions, triggers, etc.

PS As I was writing this, I was trying some more out, and discovered that if you clicked on 'NEW' to create a new alias (whatever you created previously) it updates the tree just fine.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:45 am   

Ok... I just created a new function... the setting is blank, and didn't update until I closed the package editor or refreshed the editor by clicking "Refresh."

1. Go to New -> Create function.
2. Put text in name field.
3. Click save.

At this point, the name in the tree should appear. It remains blank until either closing the package editor or refreshing the view. *shrug*

Cosmetic or not, this can be a real pain in the arse. :P

Charneus
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:17 am   

Also, the old intermittent problem of having the editor reset itself and displaying the main session window properties after creating a setting is back. I reported this in another post but I can't find it.
This is the bug where after creating a setting, instead of giving the black setting screen, it displays they property for the session window. After refreshing the editor. The newly-created setting will appear in the correct place (folder).
I think this is a related problem because before the setting would eventually appear with the given name, now it appears with a blank name and reloading the settings tree won't correct this. As before, there is no set procedure to make this happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: