Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Bram Spruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:01 pm   

Random freezing up of CMud

Ever since I upgraded to 2.26 my system randomly freezes up. It just quits on me.

No prior warning, get a 100 % cpu usage spike, and cmud crashes. Need to shut it down with windows taskmasker (xp)

Nothing else on my computer is affected, I tried running the debugger but that also freezes and show nothing prior to it.... so weird. I am guessing there is some strange loop in my system running in the background ... yet I added nothing.

thoughts please?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:17 pm   

What version of CMUD are you using now? Be sure to use the 2.30 version because there have been many bug fixes since 2.26.

If it's a 100% cpu spike, then it's likely a loop in one of your scripts. About all you can do is disable your triggers and then enable them one by one to find the one with the problem.

Also let us know if any other windows, like the Package Editor or Mapper are open when you get the hang.

Also, if you get a crash, be sure to use the Send Bug Report to send me the crash dump.
RigNFool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:21 am   ditto

i actually get such a bad freeze up... i can do nothing... can't close the program, can't bring up the task manager... nothing
i have to totally shut down my laptop to fix the problem

also... after this freeze up happens... for some reason... when i restart... and load up cmud... i also have severe lag when trying to type into the command line

it is so bad... i've had to downgrade back to zmud... and... all my problems disappear...

and i can't send a bug report... because i never get the prompt to... its too busy being hung up
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:41 am   

This doesn't relate to the topic of freeze-ups, but it would be a lot less annoying to read your post without the 13 '...' contained within your 4 sentences.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:40 pm   

RigNFool, that means you have a bug in your scripts. As Zugg suggested to Bram, turn off all your triggers and turn them on one by one to find where the problem is. It sounds like you converted your scripts from zmud. Did you read through the Changes for Zmud Users and go through all your scripts to make the necessary changes from zmud syntax to cmud syntax? Did you check the compatibility report and check all the issues reported there? Once you find the script(s) causing your problem, we can help you figure out how to fix it, if you can't figure it out yourself.
Llwethen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:13 pm   Re: ditto

RigNFool wrote:
i actually get such a bad freeze up... i can do nothing... can't close the program, can't bring up the task manager... nothing
i have to totally shut down my laptop to fix the problem

also... after this freeze up happens... for some reason... when i restart... and load up cmud... i also have severe lag when trying to type into the command line

it is so bad... i've had to downgrade back to zmud... and... all my problems disappear...

and i can't send a bug report... because i never get the prompt to... its too busy being hung up

I had this happen after I recently switched my Anti-Virus program to Kaspersky. If I disabled the AV program the problem went away and came back when re-enabled.

The permanent fix was to download the latest version of Kaspersky and then added an exclusion in to tell it to quit checking CMUD access to files and network streams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: