Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:48 am   

Multi-Monitor Docking

Is there a way to have the docking tabs continue onto the extended desktop?
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:57 am   

I'm not sure what you mean.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:45 pm   

Probably wants to dock a window on a second monitor which is set for having an extended desktop rather than a copy of it.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:47 pm   

Yeah, I use my two monitors in the same fashion, but I'm not sure what's meant by "docking tabs". One possible improvement to multi-monitor support would be to be able to dock floating windows together, so you can move them all around as one unit and stuff like that, but I don't think that's what shalimar's after.

shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:45 pm   

im taking about how when maximized, cmud only takes up one screen
I would like to be able to dock a child window or the mapper to the outside edge so that it is fixed, yet on the other monitor.
Fang, your on the right track.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:16 am   

That is what I was thinking Shalamar. It is amazing to me the number of applications that can't take advantage of multiple screens, not just CMUD.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:11 am   

Actually, maximising to only one screen is the standard - I have a program called Ultramon that adds an extra button at the top to maximise across both screens (and another to move to the other screen). If you had something like that and maximised CMUD across both screens, you could dock windows on the other monitor.

Being able to dock stuff to the outside of the window is tricky, mainly because I'm not sure how the UI for it would work. And, as has been mentioned before, the docking is provided by a third-party component and so isn't that easy to modify.

shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:09 am   

I have tried not to use any of those programs since the last time i did (Hydravision) i had nothing but trouble.
I am hesitant to try one again.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:57 pm   

Rather than using the maximize button, you should be able to manually drag the window such that its non-maximized window crosses both screens.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:20 pm   

Actually, I have multiple screens myself and use them all the time. So I don't know what you mean by "It is amazing to me the number of applications that can't take advantage of multiple screens, not just CMUD."...that's just false. CMUD takes advantage of multiple screens just fine.

The "Maximize" routine is part of Windows...and the Windows maximize only makes the application use the full extent of the current monitor that it is on. Nothing I can do about that. But you can always just manually drag the CMUD window to extend across multiple monitors. Works fine.

Quote:
One possible improvement to multi-monitor support would be to be able to dock floating windows together, so you can move them all around as one unit and stuff like that

You can already do that! You can dock windows to any other MUD window. For example, do

#WIN one;#WIN two;#WIN three

to create some windows. Now drag window "one" away from the main application so that it is floating. Move it to another monitor. Now drag the tag for window "two" and drag it over to the other monitor and dock it to the floating window "one". You can dock it just fine. Either as tabs, or next to each other, or whatever you want. Now drag window "three" and dock it how you want. It all works just fine.

So, as far as I can see, CMUD works just fine on multiple monitors...a lot better than many other programs do. I don't see anything that you can't do, except maximizing to multiple monitors, which is a Windows issue and not a CMUD issue.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:54 pm   

Zugg wrote:
You can dock windows to any other MUD window.

My mind is blown. I did manage to make CMUD crash while playing with it, though - I'll see if I can reproduce that.

Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:25 am   

One of the main problems with multiple monitors is the different ways they can be setup. You can use Windows native handling for multiple monitors, I always use this way and find it the best, or you can follow through the setup for you graphics card and drivers allowing them to handle how it is done. The weirdest aspect I've seen by allowing the graphics card setup to handle it is that you don't end up with a separate desktop per monitor but one huge desktop across all your monitors. You can tell it is happening because the Windows taskbar stretches across the bottom of all your monitors and if you maximize using the standard Windows maximize button it maximizes it across all the screens.

With this being the case it is very difficult for us to be able to help without first being told how the system of the poster is handling multiple monitors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: