Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Solaras
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 am   

[2.28]ATCP Composer causing critical crash.

After downloading the 2.28 version and going on to play my favourite IRE Mud, I had to write a quick letter. Now in 2.27 this worked just fine, the composer popped up as soon as I entered the command and I was off and running.

In 2.28 though an error surfaced that said "Control " cannot find parent", offered me the continue/close/report option. I selected report went through the steps and then got the error "bug reporting not working" and was forced to ctrl-alt-delete to shut CMUD and try again.

Upon restarting I found myself in the IRE composer screen, not the CMUD composer screen and so I wrote my letter and continued on my way. After a bit I had to write a news post and this is when CMUD finally really broke.

I entered the news room and at the point that the CMUD Composer would normally surface I got the error again and was unable to report the bug again. This time however when I attemped to restart CMUD I got an access violation error (again unable to report the bug using CMUD's bug reporter).

I was able to reproduce this by clean installing CMUD 2.28 entering the newsroom, closing out of cmud and trying to start again.

Each time I got the control message, and then the access violation message refusing to let me connect with CMUD.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:18 pm   

Can someone please post the exact commands to use on Achaea to test this? If it requires you to be in a specific room, tell me how to get to that room from the portal area. It's been a long time since I played with the composer stuff in ATCP and I've forgotten the commands for it.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:39 pm   

If you've made it through the introductory tour, you should've received a journal. You can just do WRITE JOURNAL PAGE 1 to enter the composer in most IRE games, but I know Lusternia requires you to sit on a chair at a desk to write in a journal or other document type thing.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:33 am   

The journal thing depends on when you made your character in Achaea. I know my newest character, and he ain't that new, did not get a journal as part of the introduction. Since I have never played with the composer my best guess it that you could use it from a news room. Since your last reported location was in Ashtan, and the citizens there tend to generally be helpful I would say try yelling(yell), or if you are an Ashtani try city talk(ct); requesting that someone lead you to the news room.

I am sorry I am not playing much these days or I might have some insight or be able to lead you to the proper spot.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:07 pm   

(moved this to the regular CMUD forum)

OK, I need some more help with this folks.

First, no, you don't get a journal by default anymore. I found one in the shop, but it costs 5000 gold, which is more than new characters start with. I cannot find the "newroom" and I didn't get any help response when I tried talking.

Can someone give me exact directions from the main Market shop in Ashtan, or tell me what other command might active the composer.

I think IRE might have made some sort of change to the compose command, because to test CMUD offline, I did this:
Code:
#show %char(255)%char(250)%char(200)client.compose%char(10)This is the text%char(10)%char(255)%char(240)

That simulates a "client.compose" ATCP message. And when I did this, it popped up the editor with "This is the text" just as it should. So I need more help to reproduce this problem if it's going to get fixed for 2.29.
IainMac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 am   

Zugg wrote:
Can someone give me exact directions from the main Market shop in Ashtan, or tell me what other command might active the composer.

The Maps section on the Achaea site seems to be quite good. The Ashtan map can be found at http://www.achaea.com/maps/map.php?m=ashtan&r=h and yes the Newsroom seem to be in a not obvious place.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:52 am   

The path from the Central Market of Ashtan to the news room is .2jl2jn2jnj2n2hj2n3ejnws
Posting a news costs some gold, but I think it only checks how much gold you have in your inventory when you finish, so you should be able to enter the composer and abort without any loss of gold.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:42 pm   

It's only public news that costs gold, isn't it? You could try writing comments or meets or poetry or something.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:05 pm   

OK, I got to the newsroom. The map wasn't helpful, and I couldn't just enter the speedwalk path that Vijilante gave, but by entering the path one step at a time I finally got there.

Once I entered the newsroom, I selected the Comments section and typed "write" to compose a message. I entered my own character name and gave it a subject. The CMUD editor window popped up as expected and I entered a message into the Window and clicked the Send button in the CMUD editor and the editor closed and the message was sent to the composer properly.

So I am not able to reproduce the crash. If someone else can reproduce the problem, please give me the exact steps for reproducing it. Also tell me if you are able to open the CMUD editor manually by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter on the command line.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:08 pm   

Btw, you can also try the command:

#EDIT text.txt

and see if that opens the editor. This actually uses the same code to open the editor as the client.compose ATCP command.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:42 pm   

Also, check to see if you have the "Lock Layout" option enabled in your Layout menu. That might also be causing this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: