Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:18 am   

[2.25] Random Lockups

One of the most annoying things I've run into is that Cmud will randomly lock-up on me at odd times. If I'm in a dangerous situation in the Mud I have to hurry and kill Cmud then rush and restart it hoping I'm still alive on the mud.

From what I can observe I'm not doing anything in particular that sets it off as I seem to be doing completely different things when it locks up. I'm not sure how to debug an issue like this where I can't put my finger on the cause and I can't repeat it at will. And after a lockup there is no evidence left to look at to piece together what happened.

Is anyone else having this issue and is there anything I can do to facilitate debugging it?

As a side note I'll say that I have previously located one lockup issue cause regarding a regex using a list that has a %null as one of the items in the list. So it could/might be something in my code, but it doesn't happen frequently enough that I can pin it down.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:27 pm   

It's definitely some combination of scripts running in your session. The only way to really track down something like this is to keep the Script Debugger window open. This will slow down your scripts a bit, but then when you get a lockup you should see whatever the last script being executed by CMUD shown in the debugger window. This might help track down which script is causing the problem.

You can also use the #THREAD command now and then just to see if you are building up a large number of un-terminated background threads somehow. However, this should only happen if you are using threads, which you probably aren't.

It's also useful to try and remember which other windows are open when you get the lockup. For example, there were bugs in older beta versions that would cause a lockup if the Settings Editor window was open when something happened. I'm not aware of any bugs in the current version like this, but it's good to make a note of what windows are open when it locks up to see if you can find a pattern.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:14 am   

I've been trying to take special note of what I've been doing when the last few lockup happened. The last two occurrences were caused by opening the Settings Editor while I was connected. Once I've opened the window the danger of a lockup seems diminished, but opening it seems to hang from time to time.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:58 pm   

OK, that's good information. I'll check into this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: