Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:45 am   

Moving main package to another directory (folder)

Why should doing this be like wrestling a bear? It should simply be a matter of telling "CMUD, ok from now on fetch the main package from this folder, don't get upset, everything is the same just the path is different."? I mean, it's taken me a half hour to do something so simple.
I tried moving my package somewhere else, and basically, all hell broke lose and even when I gave up on the idea, I had problems restoring things to the way it used to be. CMUD went into an infinite loop and had to end up re-installing it. Now, I am stuck with 3 tabs, the English Derections, the English Keypad, and my allegedly main package. I can't delete the extra tabs because then the main package won't see them.
It's insane for it to be so hard to do something so basic.

EDIT: Things are not working at all. I am going for a second re-install. So now instead of playing, I am repairing. The problem with reinstalling is that one doesn't start fresh. If one use the old package the problems come back. Re-creating the package from the old one is something I wish only on my worst enemies.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:44 am   

Urm, just exactly HOW did you go about trying to tell it where your files were?

I move my stuff all over the place, I mentioned in another thread keeping them on a USB Flash drive.

If you want to move your files someplace here are the steps I go through.

IF I already have a session all set up the way I want it.

1. Go to the games folder and copy the session folder in question.
2. Paste said folder somewhere that you have read and right access, I've actually done this with CDs too but lets not get into that.
3. Create a new session in the session window that points to your mud.
4. Edit this session and go to the packages tab.
5. Click the browse button and browse to the new location.
6. Select the MAIN package file in question.
7. Click the + sign and browse to any other files that you need for this session.
8. Save changes
9. Play your mud.
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:51 am   

Yes, I did all that, the problem is that it does not want to delete the old packages, it also wants to disconnect the English packages into their own tabs. I ended up with 3 packages with the same name running at the same time plus the English packages.
My point is that changing package locations should be trivial. If CMUD doesn't find the package where it was before, all it has to do is ask where it is now or ask if you want to forget about it and start a new package. If it is concerned about the package location, then it should have a "move package to a new location" command.
It took me an hour to do get back to playing the game.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:27 am   

I had the multipel tab problem too..
I did #killall
and reimport seemed to work.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:33 pm   

I'm afraid that I don't see your point, Anaristos. Cmud itself does not provide a way to move packages. If you are going to *manually* move packages around, then I don't see a problem with *manually* changing the file pointers so that Cmud knows what you've done. It's hardly surprising that Cmud cares where the files are. If you had a savegame in any other game, and you manually move the file to some random location, you wouldn't expect the game to know where you've put it, would you?

That said, if you ended up with 3 packages with the same name running like that, you didn't do the same thing that Arminas did. If you tells us exactly what you did, we may be able to help.
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:20 pm   

CMUD does care where the package is as well as what the name of the package. It keeps this information internally and it does its best to assert the status quo. If you move the package to another location, it will not ask you where the package is now, it will simply create a dummy package with the same name in the same folder as the old one. If you rename your package and manage to get it loaded, it will still be called by the old name by CMUD. Those things only cause unnecessary problems. The name of the package and/or its location should be transparent to CMUD. All it has to do is load the package from the new location and go about its business as if nothing had changed since, after all, nothing really has changed that affects its operation. Maybe going through the re-establishing process doesn't bother you, but it surely bothers me. My point is, if CMUD thinks that keeping track of this information internally is important, it should provide a means to change it, since the Windows mechanism is not to its liking. So a "Move package to...", "Copy package to...", and "Rename package to..." would solve the problem.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:08 pm   

Arminas has already given the solution to this. Of course CMUD remembers where your package was stored. There is no "magic" way for CMUD to determine that you have moved or renamed your settings.

Just click the Edit Session link, go to the Files tab, and click the Browse button and tell CMUD where your package is located now. That's all you need to do.

If you move your default packages, like the "English Directions", then you need to go into your Preferences, and go to the Packages page and change the location of the default packages. CMUD compares your package filenames to the packages in this Default list to determine whether to show them as a tab in the settings editor or not (when Show Default packages is turned off).

But really, there isn't anything that I can do about this. I'm not about to replicate the entire Windows File Explorer in CMUD and provide commands like "Move package to", "Rename package", etc. You can already use the File/SaveAs command in the settings editor to rename or move your package, and that should be enough. If that command doesn't work for you, then let me know because it might be a bug.

But this is just like any other Windows application. If you rename your Word documents outside of Microsoft Word, then obviously Word isn't going to automatically load them from the Recent Documents area...you have to load them yourself. The File/SaveAs command in the settings editor works the same as using File/SaveAs in Microsoft Word...it renames/relocates the file.

The reason CMUD doesn't ask you to locate a package file and instead creates a new, blank file, is that this is how CMUD creates new sessions, and some people also use this method to create blank package files.

You shouldn't need to reinstall CMUD to do any of this. If you are still having trouble, give us the *exact* procedure that you are using that is causing problems so we can try it. But the procedure that Arminas gave is the correct one for dealing with files that you have moved outside of CMUD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: