Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
azbird
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:54 pm   

docking windows

I'm having some trouble docking the windows the way I'd like and wonder if my layout is even possible. I'd like to have the output screen one one side with the exit outputs on the same side but not tabbed (and preferably below the main output screen), and have the mapping utility on the other side. By sides I mean right and left sides, not above and below. If I can get this to work I'd like to dock other windows as well.

I am able to dock the map utility on one side with the main and exit outputs on the other, but the output side is tabbed (quite inconvenient for navigating).

Thanks a bunch.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:15 pm   

Keep dragging the window around. There are hotspots that change the grey outline, which should be easy enough to see.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:06 pm   

Thanks. I did get the layout working on one computer. I'll keep futzing with the other. Is it possible to have tabs one one side but not the other - so the output side stays as is on one side (main output window on top with exit output below it), with system settings and mapper on the other side but tabbed? I can get them next to each other but not tabbed.

Thanks again for any help.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:32 pm   

System settings? If you are referring to Preferences, I wasn't aware you could dock that window. Whatever is dockable, though, can easily be tabbed anywhere you like. All you have to do is drag the window around until you get the appropriate docking rectangle (tabbed = rectangle drawn inside the borders of another window).
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:36 pm   

Thanks again. I am able to do what you described, which is have the windows on the one side like sliding glass doors. What I am after, is to have a split screen with tabs on the non-output side for (two) different windows, so that when a tab is pressed that window is on top. I am able to achieve this on the output side (where I don't want it), but not on the other side (where I want it).

To clarify, by system settings I don't mean 'preferences', but 'settings in memory' ie aliases, paths, variables. I can open the alias window, then drag it so it is placed next to the mapper. When I click on the path button, paths are listed in place of aliases, when I click on variables, variables are listed in place of paths... which is a fantastic feature!

The problem with the map and settings windows sliding over each other, is that each time one or the other is viewed, I have to juggle resizing them, which is slow and cumbersome. I know there has to be a neater way to manage the screen.

This may be something that needs to be scripted? I'm certainly not opposed to trying that (I've been slogging through some of the documentation trying to understand how variables are used amongst other things). If that's the case, I'm eager to try but green enough so I may need some pointers.

In the mean time I'll keep searching through documentation and posts hoping I'll find the right path. Thanks again for your much appreciated help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: