Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
avidal
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:53 pm   

Scripting in alternative languages

ZMUD and CMUD both allow you to code in alternative languages via the Windows Script Host(?)

My question is, how does this work? I've never seen a single article or tutorial on it. I have ActivePython installed, and I'd like to knock up a more complex script in Python as opposed to zScript.

Does anyone have any experience with using it or can point me to an article on this method?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:13 pm   

zMUD doesn't support languages via the WSH. zMUD supports only zScript, VBScript and JScript.

CMUD does support WSH languages, though. You install ActivePython, and ActivePython registers itself with the WSH. Then in the top-right corner of any setting, you can choose Python (it might have something prefixed or suffixed, I can't remember) in addition to the normal ones of zScript, Lua, VBScript and JScript. Then you just write your Python.

Trouble is that most of the CMUD interface is currently exposed only to Lua. You'll have to wait until a later date when the full interface is made available to WSH languages.

For now, the zvar object (it's a table, or whatever your language's version of one of those is) will contain all your variables, and you'll be able to get and set their values, but nothing else. You can make more complex stuff happen this way by using expression triggers, but it's a bit roundabout.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
avidal
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:19 pm   

Ah. And if I code in JScript for ZMUD, will I still have the zvar object available? Do triggers and aliases work the same? You define the trigger/alias name/pattern as normal, and the code itself is in JScript?

I'm trying to make a fairly complex script that'll work in both ZMUD and CMUD, and it would be great if I could just do it in a language I'm more comfortable with.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:23 pm   

Yes, though you won't be able to define them with the #trig command and whatnot, because there's no way to specify the language.

I honestly have no idea how the script interface works in zMUD; someone else'll have to answer that.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Dharkael
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:39 am   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
zMUD doesn't support languages via the WSH. zMUD supports only zScript, VBScript and JScript.

That's not quite true Fang only VBScript and JScript are immediately visible from Scripting Language the drop-down menu,
but if you have another WSH language installed and you manually type in the Language to use such as "Python" or "PerlScript"
that language is availble to script with.
Dharkael
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:04 am   

Code:
#ALIAS testPython {#SS "Python" import win32com.client
zmud = win32com.client.Dispatch("ZMUD.Application")
zmud.CurrentSession.EchoStr("Hello From Python",7)}

There's your hello World :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: