Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
diff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:35 pm   

Help with Mapper Exits & Doors

One can use the %roomexit() function to get the string list of exits from the current room. One can also use %doorname(direction) to return the name of the door in the given direction.. although none of my doors have names.

Is there a function to check that an exit is a door? Something to the effect of %isdoor(vNum,direction)? When looking at the spreadsheet view of my map, I can see that the field name of the information I need is "ExitKindID". How can I get at this information via script? Possibly mapquery() but I can't seem to find a solution.

Edit: Maybe it is possible to directly access the mapper database tables using the database functions? I can't figure out how to load it.

Any help out there?

Last edited by diff on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:31 am; edited 2 times in total
meyn
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:31 pm   

EDIT:opps Embarassed
misread your post

EDIT:

dont know if this will help you

Code:
#AL checkroute {
  #VAR isdoor {}
  #VAR blank {}
  #VAR revisedroute {}
  #PR desttgt "Enter roomnumber to walk to"
  #VAR startroomonmap %roomname( )
  #VAR speedroute %walk( @desttgt, -1)
  #VAR fullroute %pathexpand( @speedroute)
  #FORALL @fullroute {
    #VAR isdoor %doorname( %i)
    #IF (@isdoor!=@blank) {
      #SHOW %i doorname is @isdoor
      #VAR revisedroute %addItem( @isdoor, @revisedroute)
      #VAR revisedroute %addItem( %i, @revisedroute)
      } {
      #SHOW the room has no %i door
      #VAR revisedroute %addItem( %i, @revisedroute)
      }
    #MO %i
    }
  #TE @startroomonmap
  #SHOW @revisedroute
}

When you use %pathexpand i think it should all ready have the doors listed in it, so this script shouldn't really be needed.

This script moves you along set route, checks each room for door, then adds door name and direction to leave room to @revisedroute, then teleports you back to where you started on map

Hope it helps

EDIT: Mapper->Config->Configuration Settings->Speedwalking->Check the box "Add door commands to Saved Paths"
This will insert the door commands into the %walk function.
Mapper->Config->Configuration Settings->Doors and string-> open %2 in firstbox
this might solve problem

shouldnt need the script then!
diff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:47 pm   

I had previously added door parsing to my room exit triggers, and have been using an onroomcreate alias and #DOOR to create doors as I explore. What I’m trying to do is to update the doors on my map automatically as I reload a room’s information via the button on the mapper.

This is a very clever idea to solve my problem. Get the path from the current room to a room 1 step away, and then expand the first step of the path which should be an open door command… even when the door has no name.

Of course there is no #un-door command that corresponds to #door, so I'll have to resort to saving the link’s information, deleting it, and recreating it doorless when a door needs to be removed.

Thanks a bunch! I'll let you know how it goes.
diff

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:30 pm   

Been a while, but getting back to this problem now... which leads me to my next hurdle. How do I find the room key of all adjacent rooms?

Take a room with the following exits as an example:
Quote:
You see exits leading north (open door), east, south (open door), and southwest (open door).

Run the following code on said room:
Code:
#forall %roomexit( ) {
    #echo Exit: %i -> %roomlink( %roomkey, %i)
    #echo Path: %i -> %pathexpand( %pathfrom( %roomkey, %roomlink( ,%i)))
    #if ( %begins( %pathexpand( %pathfrom( %roomkey, %roomlink( ,%i))), "open door")) {#echo It's a door!}
    }

Now you see the dilemma. %roomexit() returns "speedwalk characters" and not actual "mud directions", and these "speedwalk characters" cannot be used with %roomlink().
Quote:
Exit: n -> 243
Path: n -> open door north;n
It's a door!

Exit: e -> 234
Path: e -> e

Exit: s -> 235
Path: s -> open door south;s
It's a door!

Exit: k ->
Path: k ->

Is there a better, or should I say "working", way to do this?

Edit:
I had considered just simply using a database variable and storing the directions with their appropriate %roomlink() counterparts, however this will not work with special exits.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:21 pm   

That's very interesting; I was under the impression that %roomexit returned proper directions. You could perhaps try fooling it by passing the character through one of the path functions first so that it's converted from the path character to the real direction.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
diff

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:36 pm   

I've had similar thoughts. However, they annoyingly echo text to the screen… and also spit back the speedwalk characters and not the directions.
Code:
#pa adjacent k
#echo Path: %pathexpand(3nkw)

Quote:
k assigned to adjacentRoom
Path: n|n|n|k|w

Now I'm thinking I can somehow use directions, #DIR. However, I know little of them and am investigating now.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:39 pm   

#DIRECTION is only for creating speedwalk letters. It's like how you can't use #KEY to simulate a keypress, as it's only for creating macros.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:36 pm   

This is overly complex for what I am attempting to do. Really what I need is direct access to the exits table in the mapper database. I think I'm just going to cross my fingers, and wait for a more advanced cmud mapper module that will allow me to query it for things like FromID, ToID & ExitKindID.. or at least have a more complete set of exit, door & room functions. Things like #undoor and %isdoor() would really make my zmud to cmud upgrade much more probable.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:45 pm   

you could likely do:

#MOVE j
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 pm   

Code:
#show %exec(.3nkw)

Gives you.
n|n|n|sw|w
diff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:29 pm   

Wow, thanks Arminas! That's exactly what I was looking for!

After playing around for a little bit, I also figured out that by adding directions for each of my custom exits %exec() would expand them correctly too.

For example, take the "in" exit, or a swim exit:
Quote:
You see exits leading north, northeast (open door), east, southeast (open door), south (open door), southwest, west, northwest, and in (open door).

Code:
#echo Exit: %i -> %roomlink( %roomkey, %exec(.%i))
Quote:
Exit: in ->
Exit: swim w ->

Now add the custom directions:
Code:
#DIR zx {in} other
#DIR rt {swim w} other
Quote:
Exit: in -> 24
Exit: swim w -> 25

I only throw this information out so that possibly somebody else will benefit from it. Thanks for the responses guys, they are greatly appreciated.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:26 pm   

Were it me, I'd've called my in and out exits i and o, for ease of readability's sake.

As for swim exits, if your MUD allows rooms to be turned into water (and to be made passable on foot - one mud I played had a levitation spell that, if you had it on, let you walk across water) then hard-coding exits as swim exits is a bad idea. If it were me, I'd have a trigger "You need to swim in that direction" or whatver that'd do swim %lastcom or something, and then add "swim x" to each direction's list of possible commands.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
diff

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:08 am   

I had originally used i and o for my in and out exits, but was encountering problems (with the code from this post even) so switched to something obscure which seemed to have solved it. As for hard coding swims into exits, I agree with you 100%. I only use it as an example. The point I was attempting to express is that you can match any "other" exit text to a #DIR so that it can be expanded properly by the %exec().
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:17 am   

Be warned that if you start putting aliases or commands in your other exits the %exec can make them do strange things. So always test things before you put them into production.

I actually created a more complex system for CMUD using the new user defined functions.
For most things so long as you don't get outlandish, like me, and you test things; the %exec function is good enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: