Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
JQuilici
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:07 pm   

[2.21] Show column number reacts badly to wrapping (found in 2.20)

The command-line will go berserk if you line-wrap with the 'Show column number' option turned on. It appears to get stuck in an infinite loop updating the display.

Procedure
  1. Start CMUD
  2. Hit ESC to dismiss the sessions window
  3. Choose Options->General from the menubar.
  4. In the options dialog, check 'Show column number'. This causes a small label to appear to the right of the command-line, showing the column number where the cursor is located.
  5. Click OK to dismisss the dialog.
  6. Type some nonsense into the command-line. I put spaces in to simulate words, but I don't know if that's necessary.
  7. When you get to the end of the command-line, and the line you're typing wraps, the command-line will go into an infinite loop updating the display, and will not respond to the keyboard. I had to kill it from the Task Manager.

The infinite loop is pretty fast, but it appears to cycle between the following states:
  • Command-line wraps to line 2, with the column-display still showing a large number (e.g. 160)
  • CMUD updates the column number to a small number (e.g. 1 or 2), since the cursor is now at the beginning of the second line.
  • Since the column-number label is now smaller, CMUD stretches the command-line input area to occupy the extra space.
  • The stretched area can now accomodate ALL of the text on one line, so the command-line unwraps to one line.
  • CMUD updates the column number to a large number, since the cursor is now at the end of the one line.
  • Since the column-number label is now larger, CMUD shrinks the command-line input area.
  • The smaller area forces the input text to wrap again, and we're back to where we started.

I'd suggest either (a) having CMUD show the 'logical' column number (as if the line hadn't wrapped, so it doesn't reset back to 1 on line wraps), (b) setting a minimum size on the column-number label big enough to accomodate at least 3 digits, or (c) both.

Last edited by JQuilici on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:17 am   

I tried to create this and didn't have any issues.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:11 pm   

Much ditto to the unreplication of this bug.
JQuilici
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:02 am   

Weird. It's perfectly reproduceable on my machine. I'll have to figure out how to take a screen-video of it happening.
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:25 am   

Update: I had spotty results reproducing the bug with a small window - where the command-line text entry area was less than 100 characters wide. It is still perfectly reproduceable when my window is maximized (and the command line wraps at 160 chars). And it DOES seem to matter that you put in spaces periodically.
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:18 pm   

Still occurring in 2.21. I have uploaded a video of the problem here. The resolution and framerate are poor (the loop is MUCH faster in person than it appears on the video), but it shows the problem.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:49 pm   

As I've said in other threads, if you didn't see it mentioned in the Version History, then it wasn't fixed, so there is no need to report it again. It's still on the bug list.
JQuilici
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:26 pm   

Didn't mean to step on any toes, Zugg. My fault for not stating in the new post that I knew it wasn't on the fix list (as I've done on other bugs).

This wasn't a new report, BTW. I just updated the thread title to reflect the fact that I'd tested it on the new version (sometimes bugs get fixed or masked by 'unrelated' changes, so it's always worth checking), and I added a post to show the video, since others had been unable to reproduce the problem. If the title updates are more confusing or annoying than helpful, I'll stop doing it.
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:05 pm   

I was finally able to reproduce this. One important step is that the "Theme" in the View menu needs to be set to "No theme". I normally use OfficeXP or Normal theme, and neither of these had the problem. But I noticed in your video that you didn't have a theme (or maybe it was an XP thing). But on Vista when I changed the Theme to "No theme" and then just resized the CMUD window to cause the command line to wrap or not, I was able to get it to go into the loop that you mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: