Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
MNGrizzly
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:42 pm   

More Information on #ALARM Bug

I realize most people haven't been able to reproduce this, but I thought I'd share this information in case it helps Zugg pinpoint the Unhanded Exception I'm getting in 2.18 with alarms.

The problem:

In most situations a command such as this in either an alias or the command line will throw an exception:
#alarm test_alarm {+2} {say hi}

I've noticed that this does not occur when the package first loads and I log into the Mud, it's not until I let some of my 'setup aliases' have run, enabling defenses, etc...

I've since noticed that some of my alarms cause this exception, but not all, so I started doing some more digging and found something interesting.

This exception will not occur if I create a variable called say, @Two, and store '2' in it, then create this alarm:
#alarm test_alarm {+@Two} {say hi}

I am also able to enter
#alarm test_alarm {*5} {say hi}
#alarm test_alarm {+2} {say hi}

Without any issues. However, if I enter the last command (with the +2) one more time, the exception returns.

If I can figure out what command 'corrupts' these alarms, I'll post that, but at least I've found a workaround using the variable for now.
MNGrizzly
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 pm   

All right... I lied. This seems to change each time the package is loaded, and occasionally throughout a session. Certain alarms will work for a while with {+@Two} then suddenly start throwing an exception, and only start working when it's changed back to {+2}.

I give up... I'm going back to 1.34, this is pointless.

None of these problems occur in 1.34... I'm not sure if that'll help the debugging either. Perhaps it's related to the new threaded alarms in v2.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:37 pm   

It shouldn't have anything to do with the threaded alarms. The alarms only create a new thread if you actually use any of the #waitxxx or threading commands. So I don't think that is it. As you guessed, I cannot get this to fail at all, so I'd appreciate anyone who can help pinpoint this problem.

Btw, I assume you already submitted the crash dump?
MNGrizzly
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:12 am   

I've submitted a few, but not for a month or two now, since shortly after 2.18 was released. If there's anything else I can send you that would help, I'd be happy to. I've sent you an XML dump of my entire system to the support address a few few weeks back, if you'd like, I can send you the pkg file as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: