Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
asm
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:30 am   

Special characters in variables.

Straightforward problem: if special characters get into variables*, strange things can happen when performing checks on that variables for processing (eg, comparing two strings). So, is there any way to force a literal interpretation of expanded variables? I tried %quote(), both in the #FORALL structure and pre-emptively ( #var myvar %quote(@myvar) ), but to no avail.

if it's relevant, the issue occurs within a nested #FORALL structure, so may involve %i or %i and %j

*This usually seems to happen when a smiley is captured.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:44 am   

Are you talking about CMUD? I posted something similar to variables on the CMUD Forums. zMUD is feature/bug complete, meaning no more upgrades will be made. You haven't really gave much information otherwise.

Charneus
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:55 am   

In ZMud, special characters play havoc (and knick-knack pattiwhack, too) on the parser. There's really no way around this other than to change your characters to something very rarely used if %quote() or %literal() don't fix it for you. I ran into this issue regarding periods (speedwalk character) passed to a user function that put the commas back into a number (user function because I was bored and decided to include more delimiters than commas).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: