Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:55 pm   

Web site upgrade

We upgraded the MySQL software and PHP sofware on the site today. Looks like most everything is still working. I noticed that the pages in the "About Us" menu at the top are not working, so I'm going to try and fix that.

But please let me know if you experience any problem anywhere else on the web site.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:51 am   

Hey Zugg how about upgrading the forum to the latest PhpBB3 release?

http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

Can make custom BBCodes and the like, such as background color for text.

Very Happy
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:51 am   

I'm sure this has been mentioned on here somewhere, but I haven't the time to search.

Basically, the forums have been pretty drastically altered over the years and those source changes would be pretty mammoth to migrate to a new version of PhpBB3. The benefits don't really outweigh that huge cost.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:11 am   

I don't think it would be that drastic.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:52 am   

There is no way to update this site to use PHPBB3. As Fang has mentioned, this site it too heavily customized for this to be possible, sorry. If you want to make a list of things that PHPBB3 does that you are really dying to have, then let me know. Honestly, I don't see how letting people mess with background colors is very useful for a software support site like this. I'd like to keep the forum posts readable.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:02 am   

Sure. For example, people may want to explain color problems they are having so instead of having to post huge screenshots they can use color and backcolors with the text to show what it looks like. No big deal really.

I like how the code tag creates it's own scrolling window and therefore to view all the code someone posts you don't have to scroll down the whole page, but only scroll through the code. It also has a select all tag to select all the code and copy it. For example, to work out a bug and copy the code and paste it into your Cmud/Zmud.

Example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/amphibian/PhpBB3.png

As far as I know there is more integration for Ajax and easier functions as well. Also I really don't see how the new features of PhpBB3 would make it more unreadable, if anything they would improve readability. Anyway, it was just my opinion. Sorry to piss everyone off.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:24 am   

OK, no problem. I thought you were talking about something where people could change the background color of their posts, and I envisioned everyone with a different background making the threads really annoying to read. If it's just the background of text like the foreground text color, then that's possible. That's just a change to the bbcode routine, so I might be able to look at their new bbcode function and see what they are doing.

But stuff like Ajax isn't going to happen for a while. It's more likely that I'll write new Ajax forums in Ruby/Rails for MyMuds and then later port them to this site.

Of course, the main problem is that I don't have enough time to do anything these days it seems, so this is really low on the priority list. It's a *lot* more important to get bugs fixed in CMUD right now.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:03 pm   

I certainly understand. I agree fixing the bugs is priority one. I was just giving my opinion on ideas since you asked in that thread. :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: