Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:46 pm   

cMUD Corruption Issues

I seem to have common issues with my folders corrupting. At least I assume it's corruption. I'll go to File->Open Session and click on a MUD's Icon, it will often not open the desired MUD, or on occasion open the desired mud as well as another mud.
tijer
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:54 pm   

i have similar problems.... i try to open a previously saved session and it just refuses to open. Just ignores it, have tried a complete re-install of cMUD without success
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:12 pm   

Are you using Vista or XP Tijer? I'm using Vista Business, not sure if it's possibly OS related.
tijer
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:25 am   

Vista Home Premium here
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:59 pm   

What version of CMUD are you using, and have you previously installed another version? Where is your data saved? To Documents\Games, or to Program Files\CMUD?
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:35 pm   

It does it with, cMUD 1.34 and cMUD Pro 2.16, and every other version I've ever used. And my data is saved to: Program Files\CMUD Pro
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:08 am   

If you install CMUD on Vista, do NOT put your data files in Program Files\CMUD. Vista restricts access to the files in Program Files, which can cause you great headaches. When given the option, such as with the CMUD installers, always put your data somewhere more open, like your Documents folder. That should take care of most, if not all, of your file corruption problems.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:51 am   

Zugg has even gone on record to say that Vista users should accept the default data folders (i.e. My Documets\My Games\...) for CMUD.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:30 am   

Would it be restricting access even with UAC off? I have it off, still acts odd.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:39 pm   

I've uninstalled, set i to put Data in Users/Documents/My Games/cMUD and it is still doing it.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:21 pm   

Did you check to see if you data in your Virtual Store? Some other users were having some problems with that.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:23 pm   

Yes, check your virtual store to make sure there isn't a cmud folder. If there is, delete it. This tends to cause all sorts of problems if there is data in there.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:47 pm   

There was a cmud and cmud pro folder in there, deleted, will see if the issues go away now. Thanks for the help.
Kline
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:41 pm   

I've had this same problem with 1.34 and now with the 2.16 beta. XP Pro SP2. Everything is saved in the default My Documents location. Some sessions I will click to open and CMUD just closes the sessions window and ignores my request entirely. It takes creating a new session and deleting the old one's folder to get it working again.

Down for PVP? Try The Vortex
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:09 pm   

Mine still is doing it as well, though yours doing it in XP tells me it is still a flaw in the program most likely and not something with Vista.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:26 pm   

That can happen if you have a corrupted layout file for the session. Try holding down the Shift key when you click on the Open Offline action for the session. That will cause CMUD to create a fresh layout file. It was very common to get corrupted layouts in previous versions of CMUD, even in v1.34.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:29 pm   

Kline and Fizban, try editing one of those sessions if you still have a copy of them somewhere and unchecking the use layout option.

Also there is something funny with status bars, or has been. If I open a package for one of my sessions that closes like you are stating and I have unchecked use layout as I mentioned above and it STILL closes the next thing is this trick.

Open one of the default blank sessions, open the package editor and click file open. Browse for and select your package for the session that is closing on its own. Export any status bars you may have to an xml file. Then delete them from your package and save your changes. Finally close Cmud completely and re-open it.

Now there is a good chance that your session will work for you. Once you have things positioned on the screen where you want them close cmud completely again and re-open it then edit your session by re-checking the use layout option.

Lastly if everything is looking good you can re-import your status bar and things should be peachy.

Hope this works for you...

Yes I know I should have posted something about this before now I've been a bad boy.

Zugg, if you want me to send in a package I will.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:44 pm   

Yes, if you have a package with a corrupted status bar item that is causing problems when loading, then please email it to me. Unfortunately, you have missed the window for this public version, so any fix to this will have to wait until January.
Kline
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:11 pm   

I no longer have one of the sessions that flat out "will not open", and I think I just fixed the one with that kept eating my command line and entire bottom status bar. I never customized any layouts, just used the default. Shift-clicking to load worked, and reset the command line and buttons (turn on/of parsing, history, etc) back to normal, but when I closed the session it would never save. Turning off the layout, closing CMUD, then turning the layout back on fixed it just fine.

Update: Apparently after installing 2.17 my missing command line has returned, so I'll email you the session before I mess with it any further Zugg.

Down for PVP? Try The Vortex
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:10 pm   

Package sent to sales along with a crash dump and further explanation.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:15 am   

Quote:
Kline and Fizban, try editing one of those sessions if you still have a copy of them somewhere and unchecking the use layout option.

Tried that, it still refuses to open. This is now in the public 2.17
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:32 am   

Fizban1216: Please email your *.PKG file for your session to sales@zuggsoft.com. Unfortunately, you might have a bad package corrupted by a past version and might need to create them from scratch again. But if you send them to me, I might be able to extract the scripts.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 am   

There aren't any scripts actually, and I deleted all packages and everything before installing 2.17
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:22 am   

If you deleted all packages and everything, then I don't know how it could possibly refuse to open a session. This is definitely different than the problem that Arminas was reporting, and it sounds a lot more like a Vista permission problem to me. Try right-clicking on your CMUD icon and go to Properties and enable the "Always run as Administrator" option and see if that fixes it. If so, then it's a permission or UAC problem.
tijer
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:33 pm   

i changed the name of the package file that the mud that refused to open ran using, and it actually allowed me to connect to the mud, so i guess the package had somehow got corrupted, from what i think was some kind of bug in an earlie version of cmud2.x
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: