Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:57 am   

CMUD v2.01 BETA version released!

It's finally here! This is the much-anticipated CMUD v2.0 major update.

Since everyone gets free updates for 2 years after purchase, and CMUD hasn't been out for 2 years, this is a free update for all users. The trial is reset with this version, so if you tested older versions of CMUD, you should get a new 30-day trial.

Please BE SURE AND READ THE Version History for this version. A LOT has changed, and there are a lot of new features. Note that this is actually v2.01. I had some private testing of v2.00 last week, so the version history also shows the bugs that were fixed in the past week for those people who tested 2.00 for me.

Because so much stuff has changed in this version of CMUD, I EXPECT PROBLEMS. You should NOT use this version for your main MUD playing until you have had time to test it. Use it in a safe area of your MUD until you are sure your scripts are working. Be sure to MAKE A BACKUP of your existing CMUD files in case you need to go back to a previous version.

You cannot just install the old 1.34 version on top of the new 2.01 version. The 1.34 version cannot read the new file format of some files used in v2.0. So if you want to go back to 1.34, you need to restore a backup of your 1.34 directory. Do not forget to back up the data files in the My Documents/My Games/CMUD area as well. The MUDS.DB mud list is in a different format, and v1.34 won't be able to read that database properly.

One of the biggest changes in CMUD 2.x is the multithreading support. Each time you enter a command line, and each time a trigger fires, the script is executed in a background thread. You can view all of the threads that are running using the #THREAD command. Pressing the ESC key will abort any infinite loops, and will also terminate any background threads that were created from the command line.

So, if CMUD appears to get stuck or hang, try pressing ESC to see if that fixes it. This will terminate any background thread that might be in an infinite loop and causing CMUD to appear hung.

There were also a lot of changes made to string lists and database variables to speed them up by a huge amount. So be on the lookout for any bugs that might be related to string lists or database variables not working properly.

As always, be sure to CREATE A NEW POST to report a bug in this version. Be sure to put the version number in your post subject, like [2.01] and be sure to mention what version of Windows you are using. Please give as much information about the bug as possible. The easier it is to reproduce, the quicker it will get fixed. If you get a crash, be sure and send the crash dump report so that I can collect as much information on crashes as possible.

There is a lot of new stuff to play with here. The threading support allows you to write scripts in whole new ways (using #WAIT and #WAITFOR). The built-in Lua Scripting brings a *lot* of new power to CMUD. Hopefully your "favorite" bug got fixed, but I couldn't fix everything...I still have dozens of bugs on my bug list. And I expect 2.01 will add a lot more bugs to my list.

Good luck with 2.01. Once we get it tested and stable it should be great!

Last edited by Zugg on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:31 am   

I've barely dived into it more than 10 minutes and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Great work Zugg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: