Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kori

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:43 am   

Zmud will not start

Hi, I downloaded Zmud from the downloads section, and after installing, tried running it.
However, all that happens is that zmud.exe keeps spawning, as i saw from the
task manager, and it wouldn't stop till my computer is out of ram, or hangs. So I might
get a few hundred zmud.exe in my task manager, and i gotta try and kill the processes,
as fast as i can before my computer hangs, till i kill off the last. Anyone knows about
this? or solved it before? thanks.
tomcat025
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:14 am   

It would be helpful to know what operating system you are running.

~Arwin Hochhauser
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:57 pm   

Also, this doesn't sound like any zMUD behavior I've heard of (even in unstable installations). How are you starting zMUD? I'm assuming you downloaded the latest version 7.21, did you install it as admin? Do you get any warning messages or anything like that?

Do you at least see the zMUD splash screen?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:51 pm   

Sorry, running Windows XP... No warning messages, nothing. No splash screen. Installed as admin, all the installation went well. Just that nothing happens once i start, and I open task manager to check and I've got a few hundred zmud.exe and growing!
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:18 pm   

Only thing I can suggest at this point is uninstalling zMUD, then reinstalling it. For some reason, it sounds like zMUD is just doing the primary opening sequence (if you ever run zMUD, you'll see there will always be two zMUD.exe processes running - one is the actual program, the other, I forgot...). Something in the primary opening is looping back, saying "Hey, this isn't open, let's open it!" then repeating the message over and over again.

If the reinstall doesn't fix it, it may be a program on your computer, or even worse, a virus. Do some virus cleaning, too.

Charneus
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:19 pm   

Did you have a previous installation of zMUD? I would recommend a complete uninstall, including deleting the related directories.

Then try re-installing.

[Edit] Beat me to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:39 pm   

No previous installation. I actually completed uninstalled, deleted the directories, scanned all I could, and reinstalled... couple of times now... always a mad rush to kill off the mad zmud.exe...
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:15 pm   

It sounds like you might have a viral infection attempting change the program as it loads. I would suggest running a virus scanner on your system.
kori

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:49 pm   

Scanned with trend and norton, nothing turned up though...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:50 pm   

Run Windows Update and install any patches that are available. If that still doesn't work, then all I can suggest is doing a "Repair Install" of Windows XP using your original Windows CD. Nobody has ever reported any problem like this, and the 3rd party maker of our copy protection has also never encountered any problem like this with any product that they work with (which is thousands of different software products). So, there really isn't anything else I can suggest from this end...it has to be something corrupted in your computer, or some other software running in the background that is messing up Windows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: