Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
dolgan
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:58 pm   

Mapper problem

The mapper has worked without problem untill now.
All of a sudden it stopped working, it seems the cominucation between the mapper and cmud stoped.
When trying to speedwalk to a room nothing happens, no data i sent to the mud and nothing happens to the map.
I have tried to reconfigure but the autoreconfigure catptures nothing from the mud and the offline still dont seem to do the trick.
What may have caused this?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:46 pm   

Changing the dock/undock setting of the mapper is the only thing I can think of that's caused people problems. If you've changed that recently, try reverting the change. If you haven't, try changing it anyway.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
dolgan
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:35 pm   

Tried every posible docking option. There is still no comunication at all between the mappen and cmud.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:46 pm   

Make sure the English Directions package is being loaded with your session. Select the Edit Session action, then go to the Files tab and make sure English Directions is in the package list.
dolgan
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:09 pm   

Check. That was not it.
Damn strange that it works just fine one second and then ust stops, and no error messeges or anything.

Im looking forward to the rewrite. Love the map.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:21 pm   

Maybe you can post some sample output of what your MUD is displaying when you use the Auto Configure. I haven't run into any problem like this before with the 1.34 version of CMUD. As Fang mentioned above, do you remember what has changed since it was working before?
GaidinBDJ
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:19 am   

I'll jump in here.

My n,s,w,e directions work fine, but anytime I try nw,ne,sw, or se the mapper gets "lost".

I speedwalked someplace that included those directions and it worked fine, but just moving by entering the directions doesn't work.

And once I try to move one of the diagonal directions, the map doesn't work until I use #teleport to tell it where I am.

When I try to move nw, for example, the mapper queue shows "ne (292" (Can't see how many)

Smells of a bug to me.
GaidinBDJ
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:21 am   

Ok, just doing a reconfigure worked, as long as I tried it in one of the diagonal directions. *shrug*

Now #walking doesn't work right anymore. I end up in the right place, but the map doesn't follow me there. It still thinks I'm the room I started in.
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:38 pm   

Gaidin,
Since you play on 3k, how do you have your mapper configured? It typically takes some effort to #tag things properly to get the mapper working happily there because the format of room names/descriptions/exits is very inconsistent. An improperly configured mapper will lead to exactly the strange issues you are describing.
dolgan
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 pm   

OMG...
I just found out what the problem was.. im almost to emberased to tell you.
It seemed that for some strange reason (probobly cause i converted from zmud) My session was not ONE session, but two.
I found another hidden connection under the "window" tab..

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
GaidinBDJ
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:20 am   

Not really. I just have it set brief which shows room name and directions. The autoconfigure picked it right up.
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:27 pm   

Yep... that will work for many rooms, but I found that it will eventually start going nuts. The solution I came up with was to parse out the room compass and do a bunch of tags that way. This has actually been very effective. However, I'm thinking of attempting to redo it with an emphasis on basing it off of ansi patterns, since I've had great luck with that elsewhere. I suppose I should share out a package someday.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:46 pm   

If you want something to start with you might dig out an old script I posted to the Finished Scripts forum for zMud. It was a complete mapper override. Basically it did just about everything you could want. The parsing is done with some complex regex and ansi detection, so it shouldn't be too hard to add in other parsing to remove a displayed map. Actually that will probably be the easiest part, but it might be useful to store it in some way to further improve the maze handling the script already does.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:59 pm   

This piqued my curiosity, so I searched myself. It's here.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:22 pm   

Hrm, I thought I posted a newer version up too. Actually I am quite sure I did post up a version of the one I use for playing, but I think it was in a reply to another topic. In any case at some point I will likely put it together into a proper package with most of the parsing things moved out into a configureable section.
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:13 pm   

Very nice (bordering on insanity maybe)! Probably overkill for 3k :) The dependence on zMapper will probably stop a lot of folks though.

I took a look again last night - I realize now why I went with parsing our the room compass: The only way to get the room name and description to show together is when the compass rose is turned on. One of those fun LPMud oddities and I'm particular about having the room name _and_ description both be visible.

If you don't care about capturing descriptions, you're right mapping the brief mode will mostly work. You might want to #tag the roomname though based on the ansi color you have it set to - that can help for rooms that have lots of punctuation in them (ie., "====(Holodeck)====" or somesuch).

Apologies to dolgan for hijacking his thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: