Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zhiroc
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:13 am   

#GAG, but still log

If we're talking about a 2.0...

One thing I've always wanted to do is to be able to #GAG, but still log the line. This would allow me to create what are called spawn windows (I think), but still not lose those lines in the log.

What I want is for these lines to go into the same log file as the rest, so I think this doesn't allow having the new window turn on logging for itself--besides, maybe I don't want all the text I send to that window to be logged. I also think that I can't use the #WRITE command either, because I probably can't open the same log file that I'm already writing to.

I don't want to log before triggers, because I do want to log the result after possible reformatting, and again, I sometimes want to #GAG from the log.

So, I think this means an addition to #GAG? (And that would make the most sense, as the #GAG n syntax means you can gag more than the last line...) I might suggest #GAG [pattern | number [log]], where the log keyword means to log the line before gagging.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:58 am   

Unless a bug broke this and we just never noticed (or it's low priority enough that Zugg never spent any time fixing it), this is already possible. Just uncheck the Logging Preference option Log After Commands.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:00 am   

The most you can do at the moment is turn off "Log after triggers". It's a good suggestion.

EDIT: Argh, ninjad. But his suggestion, Matt, is to log SOME of the gagged lines but not ALL. It also doesn't take into account #sub and #color commands.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zhiroc
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:33 am   

I don't log colors... but what I do is to #SUB all chat lines to record a timestamp, so I definitely can't log before triggers.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:44 am   

#GAG has acted like this for as long as I can remember, and at least once a year someone asks for the ability to somehow log #GAGed lines

In the meantime you do know your child windows can have their own log files to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: