Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Shattuc
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:23 am   

Multiple Chars, same mud

I have a few characters on one mud, I have specific aliases set for one character, as for triggers and macros
when I log into the mud it treats all these settings as global, and not character specific.
how do I pull all the settings out of the mud, and have a clean slate to create macro's and triggers and aliases for another character, and have the ability to back those up and reload the other ones?

I just want to be able to have character specific macro's and aliases and such, without having to start from new everytime.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:29 am   

You can't do this with just one session icon. You need to create a new one for each character. This'll give them totally separate settings, though and zMUD (unlike CMUD) doesn't really give you a good way of sharing settings between multiple sessions. The best you can do is just to recreate the settings from scratch for the new characters.

You might find that a text export/import might work, but it's known to have some problems.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Shattuc
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:36 am   

I've tried that, it still loads all the other aliases and macro's from my other character, like I said, it treats them as global, not just || global, but global for the entire connection to that mud, where might I find the files that zmud uses to load this information from? I'll take the cave man exit, and just back up the folders to a different location, and replace them per character.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:49 pm   

Quote:

You can't do this with just one session icon.

Actually, you can. There's three basic ways to do it:

1)one settings file, with a class folder matched to the character. When that character logs on, this class gets enabled. These classes should be set to disable on login, but you might also need to handle other instances via trigger.

PRO: simplest to set up, no need to worry about loading the correct files.
CON: probably the most difficult to code the character handlers for, as there might be cases you can't test for (ergo, it gets out of sync)

2)one primary settings file per character, with common settings duplicated in each one.

PRO: no accidental mixing of settings between characters
CON: a real bitch to update common settings

3)one primary settings file per character, with common settings in a separate inherited file.

PRO: no duplication, easy to update
CON: inherited settings files only loaded when you first open the session, so changes you make to the inherited settings file won't appear immediately (to apply changes, use the #LOAD command or the Settings|Load Settings... menu after saving).

Multiple sessions is very similar to #3, except there are a couple extremely minor quirks regarding how Zugg sets up default sessions
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:52 am   

When you open Zmud to character select click on the character name goto edit> files> and change the subfolder done.
nkei0
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:12 pm   

Matt is right you can do it without creating multiple sessions, however, when you create multiple sessions it's easier on yourself to multiplay as you can automate all of your alts and basically mud from one window. I group all of my chars to my main and use aliases for :sesname1,sesname2:command or :command depending on who and what I want the characters to do
ew1075

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:12 am   

MattLofton wrote:
Quote:

You can't do this with just one session icon.

Actually, you can. There's three basic ways to do it:

1)one settings file, with a class folder matched to the character. When that character logs on, this class gets enabled. These classes should be set to disable on login, but you might also need to handle other instances via trigger.

PRO: simplest to set up, no need to worry about loading the correct files.
CON: probably the most difficult to code the character handlers for, as there might be cases you can't test for (ergo, it gets out of sync)

2)one primary settings file per character, with common settings duplicated in each one.

PRO: no accidental mixing of settings between characters
CON: a real bitch to update common settings

3)one primary settings file per character, with common settings in a separate inherited file.

PRO: no duplication, easy to update
CON: inherited settings files only loaded when you first open the session, so changes you make to the inherited settings file won't appear immediately (to apply changes, use the #LOAD command or the Settings|Load Settings... menu after saving).

Multiple sessions is very similar to #3, except there are a couple extremely minor quirks regarding how Zugg sets up default sessions

I am using option 3, and it is working fine until I try to use an inherited settings file. When I edit the character to use an inherited settings file, the auto login password gets changed therefore the auto connect triggers do not work. If I go back and take out the inherited settings file, the auto login works fine. Am I doing something wrong?

UPDATE: Found out I had an auto log trigger set up in my general.mud file which was throwing everything off. Not sure how it got there, but I deleted it and everything is working fine now.

Thanks You!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: