Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mafrawa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:43 pm   

Host xxxxx Unreachable

I am having troubles connecting to any mud with zmud. I have been a zmud user for years, and had never had any problems.

I am trying to connect to Achaea.com port 23, and every time i try, it comes up with Host Achaea.com Unreachable. I have tried to system restore, I have tried to disable my firewall, i have even tried to use a different mud connector (gmud) to no avail.

I can connect to Achaea via the Java client they offer, and i even tried it with Telnet.exe.

I am running Windows XP and have been using Zmud 7.21

Any help would be much appreciated!
Alcander
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:15 pm   

Are you sure that it's really you that is the problem?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:43 pm   

I actually had a similar problem, but it did it with ANY mud. I could telnet to them fine, but it just won't connect. Turned out it was caused by a typo in my proxy settings.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:43 am   

I think mafrawa is saying that normal Windows Telnet works, but zMUD (and GMUD) don't. He emailed me about this problem too, and I couldn't figure out what could be causing it. The only thing I could think of was that Windows Telnet uses the 16-bit WINSOCK.DLL library, while zMUD (and maybe GMUD) use the 32-bit WSOCK32.DLL file. So if some other software has messed with the WSOCK32.DLL file, or replaced it with a proxy version, that might cause the problem. It was all I could think of.

I doubt the problem is with Achaea, since it's a big popular MUD and seems to be working fine when I connect to it from here. Also, it shouldn't have anything to do with the Vista connection problems since he says he's using XP.

Although it might we worth entering the same command that fixes Vista:
Code:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

in case somehow your WinXP system has changed this setting. Normally this setting is disabled by default in XP, but enabled by default in Vista, so it's certainly possible that the same problem could happen in XP if this setting somehow got enabled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: