Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
vey2000
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:13 pm   

crashes/errors

Lately I've been getting a variety of errors.

I first noticed that most of the time, after mudding for a while, when I closed zMUD by clicking on the x system button that it would hang. Looking at the process it seemed that the memory used remained constant and cpu use was kept high. The longest I've held out waiting for it to close was probably a half hour or so.

I managed to mostly get around this problem by first going to file/close all. Then the session would close and return to the character screen, though I would get 2-3 errors messages. I can't remember which right now, but probably access violations. Once they were gone I simply exited zMUD and was done with it.

However, even more recently I've started getting other errors while mudding. Specifically, parser errors. Ones with a yellow icon or something (I'm going off my memory right now, I'll probably update this post later if it happens again) with a grey textbox listing the code that cause the error. However, this happens with scripts that were running without problems many times and specifically a moment before it suddenly produces an error.

For instance, if memory serves me right, I think one block of code that was reported to have caused this error after being used successfully many times was:
Code:
    #STATE RoomFinderTrig 0
    #CALL %mapfilter("")
    #TELEPORT @RoomsFound
    #SAY Found 1 Name Match - Area: %zonename

Though this is inside of an if statement within a larger script.

This all also seems to have started recently after I nearly doubled the size of my scripts. From about 600 lines in a file of exported settings to about 1200 lines. Another difference is that I don't recall having had any scripts interact with the mapper whereas I've written a few that do now.

I've also noticed an odd thing in these exported settings files. Near the end there are two separate blank lines in between other settings. I'm wondering if perhaps there's some corruption within my settings file.

If so, what's the best way to go about it? Create a new settings file and import a backup of my settings (from the export menu command which exports to text)? What about preferences? Is there anything else I would have to remember to copy over?

EDIT:
Just got the parser error again. That exact block of code too. The error is: Error parsing command. Access violation at address... I doubt the specific address matters anyway.

It seems that, in fact, it is the #teleport command that is producing the error. Even using it from the command line with the number from the variable typed out causes the error.

And the errors when closing are invalid pointer errors and access violations.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:54 pm   

By the sound of it you have a few different things going on.

First your settings are likely corrupted, you should use the information in the [url http://www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/migrating.htm]migration guide[/url] to correct this.

Second some portion of your code has a bad loop that isn't ending. Having a script stuck running in memory is what caused the problem of the zMud process not unloading and sitting there with a high cpu usage after a close. Subsequent usage and access violations are what caused the corruption.

Whether the parser errors are caused by the corruption or having many instances of the same loop all failing to finish I am not sure. Once you get both problems fixed though these should be cleared up as well.
vey2000
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:33 pm   

Thanks. I'm currently migrating my settings to a new file, but I've run into something that's a bit annoying. It seems selecting all classes and the preferences to import leaves out anything in the root class. Thank god I only have about 20 settings there and everything else is organized into classes. Here's where the really annoying part comes in though. zMud didn't carry over the options for each class. So everything was enabled, and any additional options I had set like enable/disable on connection/use as default/etc are lost and I'm currently going through them one by one to check which ones I have to change.

EDIT:
Ok, I just finished doing this. By the way, no settings were imported other than colors and fonts so I had to set all of them again.

Now I was closing zMUD to restart it and just got a new error. It's an access violation but I think it looks a bit different from previous ones. This one also says "program terminated."

Trying to close zMUD once again after it's open doesn't produce the error anymore, however.

I also just exported from the new settings file to text and those blank lines are still there. However, I just realized that each blank line is right after a #STW definition, so perhaps that's meant to be that way somehow and not indicative of anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: