Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:28 pm   

idea for roomcontents with mapper

I was wondering if pehaps the %roomcontents() could be used without calling from the DB module, but be able to set with either. I think making it only DB reliant for my situation makes it essentially unusable because to query my database takes so long due to its size. If I am mapping and adding items I want to first detect the item, see if the item exists in the current zone with the same item name and type, and then if these conditions are met add it to my database. The previous 3 queries take forever on my DB (so long I stopped updating it). Only after this could i add it with %roomcontents. So for me it would be much simpler to just do all my item/mob/armour/weapon/ect databasing through the mapper without ever going near the DB module.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:11 pm   

Well the DB module is set to be rewritten later this year (see here), so I guess it should perform a lot better with large databases (depending on which DB engine you decide to use) when that is done.
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:26 pm   

the DB being rewritten aside, i think the roomcontents should be just as easily used as text strings
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: