Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Zugg Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:58 pm
CMUD mapper errors? Post here
NowhereMan
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:55 pm   

did a little more experimenting.
i believe the problem is monitor 2.
if i dock the map, the numpad starts working.
if i then undock it, the numpad still works.
i move the map to monitor 2, it stops working.
move it back to monitor 1, still not working.
dock it. starts working. rinse, repeat.

it doesn't matter which monitor i put the main mud window on. as soon as i move the map to the monitor the main window is not on, the numpad stops working.
my session starts with the map undocked on monitor 2, i guess that's why it never seemed to work for me.
oya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:56 pm   

"English Directions" is in the top of the packages list in the edit session dialog. I have a map created (by myself) in zMud, that's loaded into cMud. Everything appears to be correctly configured and working for the mud, it tracks well, and things like #TE and #WALK work fine.

I still am unable to delete rooms whether by the right-click menu, delete key, or edit menu. #FIND does not appear to work correctly. It sends 'look' to the mud, the mapper window does a little flash dealy as though it's updating, but does nothing. It has worked neither with the button or typing #FIND in the command line, and has been tried with the window both docked and undocked.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:04 pm   

Oya, if #FIND isn't working, you probably have a messed up configuration file or a messed up room somewhere (which you have to fix manually, because you won't be able to tell just by looking at the room in the mapper). In ZMud this would happen all the time to me on an occasional, random basis and ALWAYS immediately after I compressed the database. If I had compressed, then a simple close and reopen of the mapper would fix the issue. If the configuration just stopped working, a reconfigure would easily make things better again.

Beyond that, perhaps you are simply not in mapping mode. You can't do anything but walk around in Follow mode.
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:56 pm   

I had to write some custom code to get #FIND to work on my mud for zMUD. Getting the mapper to work properly on your mud can be difficult and time-consuming. But that it is not what this thread is about. This thread is about bugs. Are you using version 1.25, oya? The Delete key is now working for me... Are you sure you are in Map mode? You can only edit the map when you are in Map mode and the map is unlocked (both have to be true). If you have further mapper difficulties, you might want to start a new thread.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:18 am   

One thing I've noticed is that if the mapper has focus and is docked in it's initial position the first time it is ever opened, the first macro key you press shifts focus to the main window and thereafter macro keys work as they should. It's a shame that the first macro key you press doesn't work too.

If the mapper has focus and is undocked no macro keys work. It would be nice if they did so long as they weren't menu shortcuts.

If I redock the mapper to where it was originally, i.e. on the right-hand side of the main mud window, now no macro keys work, including not shifting focus back to the main mud window. Maybe it is docked slightly differently.

Having now alt-tabbed between CMUD and Firefox, when I go back to CMUD, the horizontal scrollbar in the mapper window is half-way up the window! (There is no vertical scrollbar.) Screenshot submitted via feedback.
Szereck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:18 am   

It seems that when the mapper is in follow mode and it decides it is actually going to work, CMUD asks to submit an bug report. If moving doesn't update the mapper the program is fine but when it does it asks to submit the report.
Yamabushi
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:18 pm   

It'll be a hard one to track down. But I had an issue with the auto connecting stubs function.

After docking and undocking it finally started connecting them, so I don't know what I unlocked when I did it.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:53 am   

My problem is possibly related to the size of my map (over 45,000 rooms). If I log out and close CMUD in a older low RoomID room the mapper will restore my position correctly when I reconnect. The problem occurs if I log out on and close on a high RoomID, where CMUD will restore my position incorrectly (always to room #24080).

The other issue is not a bug, just annoying. Some of my wilderness zones are way to big for the maximum zoom out and I have to scrollbar around to find the spot I am interested in. A mouse rectangle zoom in would be really nice too.
SJ Hook
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:30 am   Access violation at address 00C50BA3 in module 'cMUD.exe'.

Hello again.
Here is my problem, I just did fresh instalation of my OS today, and installed fresh Cmud as well. Everything works fine, except the mapper. When I press CTRL+M or chose him from menu, I got this :

Quote:

Access violation at address 00C50BA3 in module 'cMUD.exe'.

Fresh, clean Vista x64 Ultimate Edition, fresh Cmud (clean, no settings at all, nothing).
Since error reporting is still not working for me, im posting here the bug report.

Code:

date/time         : 2007-06-10, 11:06:14, 424ms
computer name     : BLACK
user name         : SJ Hook <admin>
operating system  : Windows NT New build 6000
system language   : English
system up time    : 2 hours 40 minutes
program up time   : 22 seconds
processors        : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
physical memory   : 899/2046 MB (free/total)
free disk space   : (C:) 14.58 GB
display mode      : 1280x1024, 32 bit
process id        : $b50
allocated memory  : 56.19 MB
executable        : cMUD.exe
exec. date/time   : 2007-05-07 19:15
version           : 1.33.0.0
madExcept version : 3.0b
callstack crc     : $a455337e, $5e6ac8e6, $5e6ac8e6
exception number  : 1
exception class   : EAccessViolation
exception message : Access violation at address 00C50BA3 in module 'cMUD.exe'. Write of address 00000A9C.

Main ($c70):
00c50ba3 +0eb cMUD.exe     PARENT         10282  +17 TParentForm.WMShowMap
00505eb3 +1df cMUD.exe     Controls        4645  +53 TControl.WndProc
00509be2 +18e cMUD.exe     Controls        6342  +33 TWinControl.WndProc
00526ca4 +478 cMUD.exe     Forms           3098 +103 TCustomForm.WndProc
00bf2a80 +020 cMUD.exe     DXSounds        2013   +9 TCustomDXSound.FormWndProc
00bf01dc +00c cMUD.exe     DXClass          572   +1 TControlSubClass.WndProc
005097b4 +034 cMUD.exe     Controls        6237   +3 TWinControl.MainWndProc
0047fe18 +014 cMUD.exe     Classes        10966   +8 StdWndProc
7659e350 +016 USER32.dll                             CallWindowProcA
006c2b03 +0a7 cMUD.exe     aqDockingUtils  1728   +7 CallDefWndProc
006c2bf1 +0dd cMUD.exe     aqDockingUtils  1776  +41 TaqWindowEventFilter.WndProc
0047fe18 +014 cMUD.exe     Classes        10966   +8 StdWndProc
765995a4 +00a USER32.dll                             DispatchMessageA
0052ed4c +0ac cMUD.exe     Forms           6873  +13 TApplication.ProcessMessage
0052ed93 +00f cMUD.exe     Forms           6892   +1 TApplication.HandleMessage
0052f02e +0a6 cMUD.exe     Forms           6976  +16 TApplication.Run
00d89470 +088 cMUD.exe     CMUD             329  +18 initialization
76ca19ef +00c kernel32.dll                           BaseThreadInitThunk

Any ideas?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:16 pm   

Looks like it failed to create the mapper window. My best guess is that there is something wrong with the Microsoft ADO/MDAC drivers on your computer. I haven't seen this on my Vista system yet, but I have Vista Business, so maybe it's a Vista Ultimate issue? My guess is that this won't get fixed until the mapper is rewritten to use SQLite instead of ADO/MDAC. Or maybe it's a Vista issue that we need a Microsoft patch for. But unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem here.
SJ Hook
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:41 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Looks like it failed to create the mapper window. My best guess is that there is something wrong with the Microsoft ADO/MDAC drivers on your computer. I haven't seen this on my Vista system yet, but I have Vista Business, so maybe it's a Vista Ultimate issue? My guess is that this won't get fixed until the mapper is rewritten to use SQLite instead of ADO/MDAC. Or maybe it's a Vista issue that we need a Microsoft patch for. But unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem here.

Maybe, but the funny things is, that 1.26 was working ok for the last few months.... so I really have no clue Confused
Administrator rights are not helping this time, reinstaling didnt help either..
Its really, pure, clean Vista and Cmud instalation. Nothing more.
/sigh
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:46 pm   

My problem, sadly, is much like SJ Hook's... though I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2... and oddly enough, before my last reinstall of CMud, the mapper DID work... now if I try to open the Mapper I get a crash... I think I've sent Zugg about 3 reports through the automatic system, using different approaches to create the error... but I haven't a clue why it's crashing... I've checked everything that's been mentioned in any mapper problem post I can find... short of nuking my entire computer and starting over from scratch.
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:37 pm   

Thinkjon: I get lots of crash dumps that get automatically filed until I have time to review them. Can you send me an email to sales@zuggsoft.com and let me know what name and email address you used in those 3 crash reports so that I can also look into it? The more reports I can collect, the better chance I'll have to figure this out. All I can determine from the crash dump shown above was that the mapper window failed to open because of an ADO/MDAC error (which unfortunately doesn't get trapped by my crash dump system). Unfortunately, ADO/MDAC problems are a real bitch to debug because the Microsoft installers often refuse to update files if it *thinks* the registry entries are correct. So it's very hard to fix a corrupted MDAC installation. And all it takes to screw up your MDAC is downloading/installing some software that overwrites one of the DLLs. Even some Microsoft Windows Update patches have been known to screw this up. And once a DLL is messed up, it can be very hard to fix.

One thing I can definitely suggest is to go to the http://www.zuggsoft.com/data page and download the MDAC Checker program (or get a newer version from Microsoft) and run that to see what it says.

It might also help to try and think of *anything* that you might have changed or installed on your computer between the time that the mapper used to work and now.

This kind of stuff is exactly why I need to rewrite the mapper to get rid of the crappy ADO/MDAC stuff, but this is a huge job and not something that I will be able to do until later this summer/fall.
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:27 am   

Thanks Zugg, sent you the email... just FYI: just ran that MDAC checker you suggested... says I'm running MDAC 2.8 SP1... didn't report any problems anywhere.

And I can say with fair certainty that nothing changed on my system between the installation that worked and the one that didn't... the mapper was operational but I was having issues with a trigger that wouldn't work... thinking it to possibly be a corrupted session of some sort I completely uninstalled and immediately reinstalled... henceforth the mapper hasn't worked :(

As an aside, I just want to thank you for all the work you put into CMud... despite the minor bugs I think you're developing a wonderful product and I'm glad that CMud has a developer devoted enough to take the time to help track down the issues we each have. :)
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:50 pm   

OK, I've looked at the submitted bug reports and they are the same as the crash dump shown above. Looks like I'll need to add some additional error trapping to determine the exact ADO error that is causing this. The crash in CMUD is caused because creating the map window is failing, so when CMUD tries to access the newly created mapper window, it gives an access violation. So I need to add some code to determine why the mapper window isn't being created.

My guess is that this is still related to the MDAC/ADO stuff. Maybe the problem comes from not having the JET drivers installed. I don't think MDAC/ADO come with the Jet drivers for Microsoft Access anymore, so maybe some systems don't have the right files. This doesn't really explain why it was working before for Thinjon though.

In any case, I'll try to add the additional error checking to the next version so that we can track down this problem.
SJ Hook
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 pm   

Thats really a great job Zugg. Thank U too.

Let me just remind U, that before my second Vista reinstalation, mapper from v1.26 was working ok for me, without additional MDAC instalation, or any other special drivers. I got some other weird problems with Cmud, (as U probably remember) but not with mapper, so I decide to wait some time for new version and use zMud instead Cmud for that time. Than I finally reinstaled Vista, installed clean Cmud v1.33, and voila, that error comes up. I did exactly the same thing when I installed for the first time my Vista except this time it was v1.33 Cmud version, and now mapper gives that errors listed above. Maybe thats help. Rolling Eyes
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:40 pm   

This might be way off base, but figured I'd through it out there...

Zugg, do you think if perhaps I uninstalled CMud, re-installed my zMud, then re-installed CMud, if the zMud installation might supply whatever is missing for CMud... I haven't attempted to run zMud or the zMud mapper on here lately, but it's possible it might help....

Should I try that, or just leave things be until you get another version with more error checking released?
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:02 pm   

Nope, that won't help with anything. CMUD and zMUD don't share any files.

If you want to play with something, you can try downloading v1.26 from http://www.zuggsoft.com/files/cmud126.exe and install it to a *different* directory (so that you don't mess up your 1.33 files) and see if it still works.
Thinjon100
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:46 pm   

Wheeeeeee! Installed CMud 1.26 and opening the mapper on my first created session worked perfectly... haven't attempted session import or anything yet... next I'm going to test copying over the map MDB file I have been waiting to use again and see if it still works... then I'll let it upgrade to 1.33 and see if that mapper will still open.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:03 am   

OK, updating... v1.26 worked beautifully... once I got my mapped session setup by itself, it even worked wonderfully in a multi-session environment (I open my non-map session first, then open my mapped session)... everything map-wise worked fine.

Allowed CMud to auto-update itself to 1.33 to see if a pre-setup mapper character would work, however as soon as I attempted to open that session I got a crash... which I submitted to you, Zugg... same Name/Email as before... I hope that helps somewhat... there must be some difference between those version or something.

In the meantime I'm going to backup my current 1.33 installation and use 1.26 until which time I can help test a new debug version or potential fix :)

Again, just want to say you're doing great work, Zugg... and I'm happy if I can help in any way :)
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:17 am   

My mapper setting never save, I have to reimport my config settings every time. I can only delete things sometimes. The button customizations never save either. I'm using 1.33, and I have tried forcing it to save.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:42 am   

On the crash when opening the map in a fresh install, I was finally able to reproduce the same error, so I should be able to fix that.

Chris: If your config settings aren't getting loaded, then there is something wrong with your install. Check to make sure that the *.ZFG file with the same name as the *.MDB map database is located in the same directory as the MDB database and that the file permissions are set properly on it. Make sure you don't have the same ZFG filename somewhere else on your system (like in the main CMUD directory). I cannot reproduce any problem saving the configuration file here, and nobody else has reported that problem.

For deleting, it depends exactly on how you are trying to delete a room. Are you just pressing the DEL key, or are you selecting the menu command, or are you right-clicking on the room? Most of the problems I have seen people have with deleting rooms is forgetting to put the map into Map Mode. The map is read-only unless it is in Map Mode, so you can only delete rooms when in that mode. If you are trying to use the DEL key, then the mapper window might be docked and might not have the keyboard focus.

Not sure what "button customizations" you are talking about...you should start a different thread to talk about that so that we can help you with it.
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:00 am   

I can confirm (but not accurately reproduce) the problems with deleting rooms - via the DEL key, via the menu, or via right-clicking. It is random, and will usually just 'go away' (ie., I move on, and come back later and am able to delete no problem, sometimes in the same session - not a cmud restart or anything). It is almost as if the map window 'forgets' that it has the focus. Sometimes just clicking 'other stuff' (rooms, buttons, whatever) in the map window fixes it. I hate giving a useless bug report, sorry. This is on a WinXP system not experiencing the other issues (crashes, lack of saving settings).
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:29 am   

Well, I can imagine the focus being messed up, but that shouldn't matter when right-clicking or using the menu...it should only effect the DEL key. That's why this bug report drives me crazy. I've never had trouble using the right-click menu when in Map mode. All I can do is just hope the problem magically goes away when the mapper is rewritten.
chewbacon
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:24 pm   

I've submitted a number of error reports with the app's error handler. Basically when I click the map button on the toolbar, a form comes up with no controls. I cannot load a map or configure a new one.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: