Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Solaras
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:20 pm   

Unmatched braces error

In zMUD this worked perfectly fine, however in cMUD I get an unmatched braces error in syntax checking.

Code:
#if (@limb_hit~damage <= 0) {limb_hit~damage = 0}

The unmatched is at col 45.

Now in fiddling, I have discovered that if I remove "~damage" it compiles fine. However, this affects the purpose of what I am trying to do. Am I missing something in the new cMUD where you can't append to a variable name using "~"?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:38 pm   

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Having a special character as part of a variable name is going to cause problems, I really wouldn't recommend it.

If you're trying to assign a value to a variable whose name might change dependent on the script, you can use @{complex_@varname} or the like, and then use the #var command to assign a value to the variable using #var {complex_@varname} value.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Solaras
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:54 pm   

Ok let me try and explain fully.

In zMUD for years you could append to a variable name using the ~ character, this was very useful in situations where the variable itself may have a different value, but the appended portion was always static.

Example:

Limb targeting scripts. I want to keep track of how many hits I have made to a specific limb on a target. This means the @limb_hit value will change, but "damage" is the static portion appended.

So I hit the target's right arm, the variable @rightarmdamage will increase by 1.

In the example below it is assumed I received the message saying I missed. Meaning that @limb_hit~damage is decreased by 1.

Code:
#ADD @limb_hit~damage -1
#if (@limb_hit~damage <= 0) {@limb_hit~damage = 0}
show_limbchart = 0

However, cMUD sadly seems to not allow this method. There is no special character as part of the variable name, @limb_hit~damage parses to be (assuming right arm was hit) @rightarmdamage. If the character has changed and I just haven't found it, great please tell me. If the means of appending to variable names is not allowed by cMUD, then I will just sulk and code a more cumbersome method.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:08 pm   

I see, and yes that's what I'm talking to when I'm referring to the @{} syntax - in this case you'd do @{%concat(@limb_hit,damage)} and #var %concat(@limb_hit,damage) 0.

Last edited by Fang Xianfu on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Solaras
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:39 pm   

aha! Thanks muchly. Works like a charm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: