Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:54 am   

Feature request: "reload package from disk" option

I'm working on creating a generic library package that will be shared by all of my characters on a single MUD, with utilities, common triggers, etc, but completely untouched by character-specific data or settings -- things that were served by the inherited package in zMUD.

As I continue to work on and update this package, it's very inconvenient to have to close another session and restart it (or delete the package from the editor and re-open it) in order to propagate changes. A nice little "reload from disk" option for myself and others working on shared packages would be great, if it's not too much trouble.

On a related note, it would also be great if we could open a package in "read only mode" that would prevent a session from making any changes to it, just like the inherited package in zMUD.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:45 am   

You can set read only mode on the package properties page, it's in the bottom right.

As for the reload from disk option, is this not what the refresh button does? It's on the toolbar next to the "previous folder" button and on the Edit menu.
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:17 am   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
You can set read only mode on the package properties page, it's in the bottom right.

As for the reload from disk option, is this not what the refresh button does? It's on the toolbar next to the "previous folder" button and on the Edit menu.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that.

Unfortunately, refresh doesn't reload the file from disk. It only seems to refresh the tree to accomodate changes in variables occurring from triggers, etc. I've tested this repeatedly with two concurrent CMUD instances running, both sharing the same common package but with different session packages. If one copy saves a change (and then uses File | Save in the package editor to immediately force it to disk), the other client must either delete the package and re-add it, or close the session and re-open it in order to see the change.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:56 pm   

CMUD auto-saves your settings as you edit them, so while it's less likely to lose your changes to a crash, you'll have a tough time undoing things, too. Just be sure to back up the packages before making updates, or do what I do and work from text files that you execute to re-create your packages. The text files method isn't foolproof yet, as there are still a few minor inconsistencies in the way the package properties are defined and some properties just aren't modifiable through script yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: