Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
gamma_ray
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:25 am   

Lots of questions/problems.

I've probably duplicated a lot of someone else's but at this point I'm just overwhelmed with problems...

*Disclaimer: When I say "no quick way", "no way", etc., I mean "no way that I know of". If you know of a way, then enlighten me, and I'll cross the problem off of my list.

1--Fixed, the dot icon is min-to-tray, right click on the title bar has not-always-on-top option.
1) The help window seems to stay on top of all the other windows. If I click the dot button (the push pin button?) the whole window just disappears. I haven't been able to find out where it goes, it doesn't seem to be under another window, and trying to retrieve it with Help > Contents didn't work. The only way I got it back was closing and restarting CMud. How can I get the help window behind the other CMud windows, and where does the dot icon send it?

2--Fixed, kind of... see below.
2) The help is sometimes horribly slow, bringing my interaction to CMud to a halt while I wait for it to sort its self out. No apparent rhyme or reason to when it is slow and when it is fast.

3&4--fixed! Updated help files. Thanks. :)
3) It is generally difficult to find stuff in the help. Example: I know I want one of the string manipulation functions, but I'm not sure which one exactly. There's no quick way to get to the list of string manipulation functions except to open the function list and pick a similar function and then open -that- and finally get to the list of string manipulation functions.

4) Some stuff seems to be missing from the help--the predefined variables page, the pattern matching page, etc.

5--On Zugg's "to fix" list (partially).
5) Find-as-you-type in the help is good, except it only works on open trees (annoying) and it should have a timeout (after five seconds of not typing, it should act as though you pressed ESC, so that you can do multiple searches without hitting esc every time--search, read, search, read), and it should match in the middle of words, too, or at least ignore the first character if it is a special character (#, %) with a hotkey (f3) to jump to the next match--"walk" should match #walk and then f3 should send you to %walk.

6) A way to see/copy the script for a class/setting in human readable format (not XML, but just script, for pasting into forums), like looking at the class script in ZMud?

7--Fixed, kind of. It turns out that what I had wasn't actually a multi state trigger, it just looked like one(?!!).
7) How do I tell/change what state a trigger is on?

8--A lost cause but still bothers me personally.
8) A way to not close the settings editor when hitting enter in the pattern dialog? (Besides not hitting enter...which I suppose I'll get used to, but -frustrating-, I've opened the stupid settings window about thirty times now because I hit enter thinking "save".)

9--On Zugg's list.
9) Auto syntax checking? (Like auto spell checking...without me having to think "I wonder if I made an error" and press a hotkey with every edit.)

10--On Zugg's far future list.
10) Some equivalent to pretty printing (although hopefully er....better)? The syntax highlighting is OK, but I already miss having things indented/newlined automatically. Similarly, miss the mouse over for variables which showed what they currently contained.

11--Fixed! View > Sort by priority.
11) How do I rearrange states in a trigger? Drag and drop nesting rearranges them visually but doesn't actually change the order they expect to be executed in...leaving them both on the same nesting level doesn't allow them to be changed and the numbering is off, the one labeled 1 actually goes off third.

Last edited by gamma_ray on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
makena
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:54 am   

Quote:
3) It is generally difficult to find stuff in the help. Example: I know I want one of the string manipulation functions, but I'm not sure which one exactly. There's no quick way to get to the list of string manipulation functions except to open the function list and pick a similar function and then open -that- and finally get to the list of string manipulation functions.

I was about to agree... But check out this

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/modules/mx_kb/kb.php?mode=doc&k=2704

Woot!

Quote:
4) Some stuff seems to be missing from the help--the predefined variables page, the pattern matching page, etc.

I think you need to update your help files, Zugg add these in the last week or so. Click the "Get Updates" button in the help window.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:43 am   

6) This will be improved in later versions of CMUD. The current format is essentially a complete data dump in XML format.

7) When you triggers are being executed there a lovely little icons next to the states/conditions that tell you which ones have been processed and which ones are being processed.

8) I'm afraid to say that it something you may have to get used to.

9) There's no auto syntax checking for several reason the primary one being that since CMUD scripts are compiled, syntax checking would require constant compilation. If you don't link the hot key another option is to look at the compiled tab when you're done to ensure the script compiles. Alternatively (if you are making several modifications) you can run the compatibility report to determine if there are errors. (Note: The compatibility reports does report false positive in some very limited cases)

10) Pretty printing might make it back, although I doubt it. I personally won't miss it but it has been requested. Another possibility is that an auto-format hot key may be added but these are both TBD. However you can indent you code as desired. Because the code can now be compiled (run time referencing etc) variable mouse over is no more. Zugg is rather clever though so he may figure out a way to do it, but it may still be possible in some cases.

I know these may not be the answers you were looking but hopefully it provides you with more information.
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:03 pm   

9) The problem is that compiling doesn't provide any replacement for auto checking, since you have to click on the tab in order to see it. Similarly, if you have to press a hotkey, it's no replacement for having it done automatically, no matter how good it is otherwise, because 1) if I wasn't lazy I wouldn't be using ZMud to eliminate key strokes, and 2) you have to actually think "oh, I might have made an error, better check"--if I knew I was making an error, I wouldn't have made it. That having been said, it doesn't need to be an every keystroke thing, just an every compile thing--but there should be -some- visual warning (preferably a prominent one) whenever a script fails to compile, even if you don't look at the compile tab/press a hotkey/etc.

In fact, what I would really like is a large icon which bounces up and down shouting "Something didn't compile right!" and then if you click on it, you see a view which has all of/only scripts which fail to compile (optional: right-click, "ignore this trigger/alias/whatever"--if you've just accepted that something isn't going to compile, ever).
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:15 pm   

I agree with you on point 9. When you press "Save" on a script, it attempts to compile the script, so it should at least display something about not being able to compile if compilation fails. It could do a syntax check at the same time and show you what the problem is. Also when you click on a setting, it could check to see if the script is compiled and if not, do a syntax check automatically and show you the error. So I don't agree with Tech on his point that since CMUD scripts are compiled you can't do auto syntax checking (although he may have a point about not being able to do it "as you type" - which is something I always turned off in zMUD anyway).
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:57 pm   

1) The "dot" button minimized the window to your system tray...that isn't what you want. You need to select the "Stay on Top" option from the system menu. Click on the icon in the upper-left corner of the window to get the system pulldown menu and you will see the option there. Whether or not these options get a special button on the caption depends upon the theme/skin that you are using. For more information, check the help topic on the User Interface

2) It might be slow if you select a page that has a graphics image on it that needs to be downloaded into your cache. If you are behind some sort of firewall, that might interfere with the ability to download the help images. But the rest of the help system shouldn't be slow...nobody else had reported that and I've been using it on a daily basis this week as I work on the help files and haven't seen any problem like this.

5) This should be fixed in the next version. There are several problems in the 1.24 help window using the search functions. However, the find-as-you-type will likely still have some problems because of the issues you mentioned with # and % characters. Right now the database used for the help system has no way of treating these characters any differently from normal characters, so it's hard to make exceptions when doing database searches. That will take more work in the future.

8) Many people asked for that because they wanted a quick way to define an alias (Ctrl-A), then enter text, then press Enter to close the settings editor and save. Pressing the Enter key in a Windows dialog activates the "default button" on the form, which is usually the OK button on most dialogs. This is the normal way Windows works. If you are trying to move to the next field on a form, press Tab instead of Enter. The same thing is true of web page forms: Enter submits the form, Tab moves to the next field. So, I'm afraid you just need to get used to this.

9) This is something we have talked about in the Beta forum and will be improved soon. What I'll be doing is doing a background syntax check when you pause when typing and then showing a visual indicator of whether the script compiles successfully. So yes, what you are asking for should be implemented in one of the next versions.

10) "Pretty Print" may return as a menu command that will format your script automatically. But it will take a while to make the changes to the new parser that are needed for that feature. So, sometime in the future, but I can't promise when.

11) To change the priorities of triggers, go to the View/Sort by Priority menu command. When the view is sorted by priority, then the drag/drop will allow you to change the order. You can also manually set the priority in the advanced panel (click More button) for each setting.
gamma_ray
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:48 pm   

2) Is there a way to make the Offline option in the help persistent? (Select Offline, close help, reopen help..)

12) Nested lists. Example:

#var test {(foo|bar)|blah}
#show @test.1.1

produces a script error, even though I've gone and manually set test to a string list and it appears to be parsed correctly in the variable.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:18 pm   

2) I'll try to save the offline status in one of the next versions

12) Send that one via the Send Feedback option so that it gets into the bug tracking system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: