Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:50 pm   

Simutronics game support in CMUD

I'm guessing from the lack of icons in the main panel that Simu game support has been dropped from CMUD for licensing reasons or just lack of general interest among the community.

That said, I'm an old holdout and would like to try to get CMUD working if possible. Has anyone come up with a good way of doing this yet?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:58 pm   

Simuntronics support = GSL support, yes? CMUD still has GSL triggers and %gsl.
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:19 pm   

zMUD had support for Simutronics' proprietary login system, though, and I haven't found anything like that in CMUD. Getting into the game is kind of a mess without it, since they use one-time-pad keys generated from their website for login credentials. It's possible to work around this with scriptcode (saving and parsing the keydata file they send from the website) but zMUD's support for their login system was much more elegant.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:59 pm   

I have been playing GemStoneIV just fine with CMUD, although its still labeled as GemStoneIII
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:25 am   

It would be really useful if you sent an email to Simutronics telling them that you'd like to see their icons in CMUD/zMUD again. The yearly icon auction is happening this month, and Simutronics hasn't bidded for an icon in the last couple of years. That's why you don't see an icon for them when you start CMUD (or zMUD).

You can still select Simutronics MUDs from the MUD list, and can read the article on Playing Simutronic games using zMUD which mostly all still applies to CMUD too. That article will tell you how to enter your login information to trigger the proprietary login support. CMUD has the same support for the Simutronics login system...it just isn't nicely packaged into a startup icon like it used to be when Simutronics paid for this.

They might be interested in knowing that they could get more players if they got their icons back into zMUD/CMUD.
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:38 am   

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd looked for information on the site on how to set up Simutronics games but a search didn't return anything; guess I just wasn't looking in the right place. As soon as I saw the EACCESS and pipe syntax, it snapped into place again -- that's what I get for waiting two years in between sessions. :)

Thanks for including the support in CMUD. I realize we Simu players probably aren't a huge portion of your customer base, and I'm sure it's a lot of extra work for you, but it's very much appreciated; I don't like the fancy web-based direction they've taken their clients and prefer a simpler, cleaner client interface.
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:53 am   

Hrm. Maybe I'm just doing something stupid here, but my client keeps hanging at "Collecting account information" (and then is disconnected after about 60 seconds) after I enter my username/password. It seems to be communicating with the EACCESS server fine up until that point. This happens on three different machines using three distinct Internet connections, so I'm pretty sure it's not a router/firewall issue of any kind. The Simutronics Game Entry (which also uses the EACCESS server to my knowledge) works just fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not their server.

Am I doing something stupid here?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:59 am   

A good <send> trigger can do anything that Stormfront can... they just have them all premade... i wish i could figure out how to tap into it.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:41 am   

Someone else had a similar issue (with not being able to login) over in the CMUD Beta forum, but they tried the same set-up from their work computer and it worked fine so they figured it was a router / firewall issue. BTW, you don't have to happen to have the same router / firewall brand for each internet connection?
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 am   

Good thought, but no, one machine is hooked to my home 'net connection (using a Cisco router/firewall), one machine is bare on the 'net over a Verizon broadband dialup card, and one is on my office connection (where I would expect trouble due to port filtering on the firewall and such).

If it were routing issues, I would expect problems on the home and work connections, but the dialup card has no intervening router or firewall software installed and should be as "open" as any machine can be these days.
hogarius
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:50 am   

Cypren, try this link...

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25332&highlight=dragonrealms+connect
tomcat025
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:00 am   

Cypren, there is now a Zmud support/discussion forum over at the DR forums. All forums <-> DragonRealms <-> Discussions with DragonRealms staff and players <-> Support - Zmud.

As for my connection settings, all I use is "eaccess.play.net|DR" for the host and "7900" for the port. No quotes of course.

~Arwin Hochhauser
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:02 am   

Thank you! The problem turned out to be the port number. Entering 7900 fixed it and made everything work correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: