Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kjaerhus
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:22 pm   

About to give up on CMUD

Since I made the change from zMUD to CMUD months ago I haven't been able to play the MUD I like because wrestling with this tool is taking up all my time. I haven't exactly been working on my scripts every day though as I usually end up being in such a bad mood that I put it away for some days before I feel ready to try again.

It's not like I normally have had any problems writing scripts for zMUD or that my CMUD scripts cannot compile or something - it's just that nothing is working as expected, manual is far from complete and I therefore usually end up on the forum, maybe trying writing a post here or just look around for answers for hours - often without success.

And as CMUD is not even considered a beta anymore how can I convince myself that things will be better?

Does anyone else have the same feeling or maybe have had it but got over the hurdle?
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:24 pm   

You've got to remind yourself that this is the first 'Public' version of CMUD. There are bugs, and they will be fixed (if zMUD was anything to go by).

Also, use the Get Updates feature for the help files. Zugg updated them a bit this week and is planning more work on them next week.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:20 pm   

It is frustrating sometimes, yes, but I can only echo what Seb has said - this is only the first version. How can there not be bugs.

If, despite what we've said, you decide to drop CMUD, I suggest checking back when each new version's released to see what the feedback is.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:10 pm   

You should just write a detailed post explaining the problems that you are having so that people can help more. Saying the "nothing is working" is a bad exaggeration since there are hundreds of people using CMUD without very many problems at all. So the problems are probably more specific to your scripts, especially if you are trying to convert some old zMUD scripts. There are lots of people here who can probably help with your scripts if you provide enough clear details.
BlackSmith
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:21 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Saying the "nothing is working" is a bad exaggeration since there are hundreds of people using CMUD without very many problems at all.
Nice, i have then one for each user not having problems.

I have been waiting for two months for inspiration to go trough all the crap.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:26 pm   

Have you tried clicking on the underlined link for one of those triggers (which will open it in the settings editor) and then press Ctrl-K to perform a syntax check and position the cursor at the error? That's very quick and easy. Without seeing the details of the triggers causing the problem, it's impossible for any of us here to help you more.

I'll repeat what I wrote above:
Quote:
There are lots of people here who can probably help with your scripts if you provide enough clear details.

So, provide details on the specific scripts that are not compiling and maybe we can help. We can't read your mind!
BlackSmith
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:16 am   

Zugg wrote:
That's very quick and easy.
Took me 3h 27mins to fix all the bugs the comptability report gave me. Dunno if my "package" works as i haven't the time to test it now, some issues needs to be looked later.
Sucks that i cant get back with the fixing after the initial conversion as the "hyperlinks" dont save to .txt fromat.
Zugg wrote:
So, provide details on the specific scripts that are not compiling and maybe we can help.
Here you go
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26427
Zugg wrote:
We can't read your mind!
Meh, thats the same as my wife says. Small world.
wedrifid
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:46 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Have you tried clicking on the underlined link for one of those triggers (which will open it in the settings editor) and then press Ctrl-K to perform a syntax check and position the cursor at the error? That's very quick and easy. Without seeing the details of the triggers causing the problem, it's impossible for any of us here to help you more.
That's a good tip. When I converted my stuff I did it by counting manually. Is there an obvious button for the ctrl-k feature there too?
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:02 pm   

Tools, Check syntax (from the package editor menu)
kjaerhus
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:43 pm   

Well, Zugg - I have tried posting specific problems but either I haven't got a useful reply or the problem is caused by a bug that noone knows when will be fixed. I just keep hitting my head against another problem all the time.

I changed to CMUD in hope for something even better than zMUD and found myself in a situation where I don't play my mud anymore. I have used so much time now that going back to zMUD would probably mean no more trying to convert to CMUD ever. I thought about changing to a whole different client too, and if it wasn't for the mapper which I have found no match for yet I probably would have...
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:31 pm   

Your zMUD settings files should still exist in their original form, so I see no reason why you can't simply return to using zMUD the way you always did. I play every day on zMUD while I work on converting things over to the CMUD way of scripting. There's no reason the two can't co-exist, even if you loaded your .mud and converted it to a .pkg. It seems to me that your negative attitude is what's getting in your way now more than problems with the client itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: