Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 am   

Command line

I've discovered one of the problems I am having is that when I hit enter to send some times it does not send the text but does carriage return and goes to a new line then if you click on the command line anywhere it crashes.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:43 pm   

This hasn't ever happened to me, do you have a method for reproducing it?
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:45 am   

MattLofton wrote:
This hasn't ever happened to me, do you have a method for reproducing it?

No that's the problem. It's just random. It's very odd. I was logged into the MUD each time and hitting enter to send commands and suddenly it does it. For some reason it will stop sending the command when I hit enter and just drop down to a new line instead.

The other problem I am having is my KEY1 macro will stop working, and I have to logoff and close CMUD and reopen it to get it to work. I can't explain that one either because it's random.

The only thing I know of that I can reproduce is when I copy something and try to paste it into the command line most of the time that is when errors start happening. It grays out the paste after that and from right click paste and the stuff that I should have pasted is not in the command line. That seems to be the starting point of other things that start happening after that. Not sure why but it is.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:03 am   

Okay I've been watching what happens with this command line issue. It keeps doing it quite a bit. It will lose focus and like white out anything already typed in there but it's still there. I backspaced it out and then it's like this bitmap image or something is stuck behind the command line. Take a look...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/amphibian/cmud.jpg

Can anyone tell what the image is? It's nothing I have on my computer.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:19 am   

It is a copy of your task bar with the middle part whited out.
It is caused by the repainting issues that have plagued cmud so.

As for why it is there. Heck if I know.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:22 am   

Well I turned off word wrapping in the command line and it seems to be doing ok so far. I think that is the problem. It's screwed up. I type fast and in the MUD I play combat moves extremely fast so text scrolling is lightspeed so to speak. I hit enter and it tries to wrap to next line and won't send anything to the mud it just sits in the command line. Unfortunately my poor character has died like 4 times now because of it.

Can someone explain in detail what the "Smart Command Line" option does? Maybe that's also part of the problem?
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:31 pm   

That wasn't the problem either because it is still doing it. I have no idea. I give up... Sad
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:57 pm   

The only thing I can think of is that every time you press a key on the keyboard, CMUD is checking to see if that key is a macro. OK, not *every* key, but keys like , etc. So, if there is something corrupted in your package, then this might cause a crash at wierd times. I have read some of your other posts, and it definitely sounds like your packages are corrupted and you really need to install CMUD from scratch and then really watch what stuff you import. I don't know if it's something you imported from zMUD, or some other problem that caused this, but there seem to be very few people having these kind of wierd problems.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:10 am   

Okay this is just bs. I uninstalled CMUD, deleted the entire folder, deleted any packages on my computer and installed a completely new copy. I then spent 12 hours redoing everything completely and guess what! It's doing the same damn thing.

Problems:

Classes are slow to enable and disable with #class name 1 or 0

Command line - hit enter and it goes to a new line instead of sending to MUD

Aliases - some firing only half the time off of a trigger.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:54 pm   

I think perhaps you'll need to send your pkg files to Zugg for him to see if there is anything obvious that could be causing the problems.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 pm   

Taz wrote:
I think perhaps you'll need to send your pkg files to Zugg for him to see if there is anything obvious that could be causing the problems.

Yeah now my key1 macro stopped working AGAIN and a bunch of other aliases quit working.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:43 pm   

Urm, have you got an old or a spare keyboard to try? Could be your Alt key is sticking or your keyboard is starting to go flaky. *grasps at straws*
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 am   

Arminas wrote:
Urm, have you got an old or a spare keyboard to try? Could be your Alt key is sticking or your keyboard is starting to go flaky. *grasps at straws*

Well I thought about that too, but why would it automatically start working again when I reload Cmud?
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:14 pm   

This hits me probably every month.

I have yet to pin point it.

However changing window focus, program focus randomly clears the issue.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:17 pm   

Well I discovered one way this happens is if you enter anything with an exclamation mark after it ! makes it start a new line instead of sending (not every time but quite a lot). Still not sure why my macro stops working because right after that it stopped working too again.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:34 pm   

Post *exactly* what you are typing. I just entered

this is a test!

and it worked fine and didn't start a new line or anything. And my macros continued to work. I still think it's a problem in your package files, or something on your computer.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:52 pm   

Has he sent you his package file like I said he ought to?
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:00 pm   

He has attempted several times, but his email message never has any file attached to it. I told him to email them to the sales account in case our help system is stripping the attachment, but have never received anything. So no, I don't have his settings. He has also posted *many* crash dump reports, none of which I have been able to reproduce. So there is definitely something wrong with either his settings or his computer.

For example, one recent crash dump report was:
Quote:
Cannot open file "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\CMUD\cmud.img". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

which indicates that either he still has CMUD running in the background somewhere, or else something on his computer has opened and locked this file.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:11 pm   

Hmm, actually OldGuy, I might have found part of the problem that you are having!

According to your crash dumps, you only have 256MB of memory on your computer! Windows XP can barely run with that. So it's very possible that you are running out of memory, which could cause wierd errors, package corruption, etc.

If this memory report from the crash dump is true, then you should really upgrade the memory on your computer. In fact, when I looked through some older crash dumps it looks like some computers you are using CMUD on only have 128MB of memory! And this isn't enough to really even run Windows XP.

I suggest that you upgrade your computer to at least 512MB of RAM. Memory is pretty cheap these days and you will see *huge* performance improvements in all of your Windows applications. And this might help with some of the wierd crashes you are getting.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:10 pm   

Uh I have:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 2.41 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

Not sure why it says that.

Also I did send the file to sales e-mail address and also sent it through Hotmail as well.

I just logged on and entered my password, which ends with an exclamation mark, to the MUD I play and it went to a new line instead of sending it. I then tried a few more words ending with ! and after about 5 it did it again.

It's not my computer.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:42 am   

Well, I don't know why the system is only reporting that you have 256MB of RAM. I'm not seeing that in other bug reports from other people, so I think there *is* something wierd with your computer. Honestly, you have sent dozens of crash dumps, none of which can be reproduced and none of which are being sent by anybody else. There are hundreds of people using CMUD and I get active bug reports from dozens of people a day. So I don't know how else you might explain why your crash dumps look different from any of the others that I'm getting.

The sales account at zuggsoft.com does not filter attachments. In fact I get normal attachments from our sales system every day. And I have not received anything from you at this email address. I have no idea how Hotmail works with attachments (or not), but whatever you are doing is not working. And without getting your package files, there isn't much I can do to try and debug these problems.

As far as the newline...make sure you aren't accidentally holding down the Shift key when you press Enter. Pressing Shift-Enter goes to a new line instead of sending the text. Maybe if you are typing too fast then the Shift key is still held down sometimes.

Edited: OK, maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. I checked the email address assigned to your forum name and I don't even find any CMUD orders with the same email address, nor do I find any crash dumps from that email address. So maybe the crash dumps that I'm getting are coming from someone else. If you want to continue this discussion and continue to get help, then you need to send me an email message to the support@zuggsoft.com address telling me your forum name and the email address that you are registered with. It would also help to mention the name that you are using when sending your crash dump reports.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:53 am   

OK, I figured out who oldguy2 is in the crash dump system, and yes, I was confusing him with another user using the same name when reporting crash dumps. The crash dumps from oldguy2 report 1GB of RAM as they should, so memory is not the problem. But I still haven't been able to get his package files...something is stripping his file attachments.

But the more I think about the command line issue, the more that I think your Shift key is sticking somehow. After all, to type a ! at the end of a command requires that you press the shift-1 key. And if that shift key is still down when you press Enter, then it's going to give you a newline instead of sending it.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:41 am   

Zugg wrote:
OK, I figured out who oldguy2 is in the crash dump system, and yes, I was confusing him with another user using the same name when reporting crash dumps. The crash dumps from oldguy2 report 1GB of RAM as they should, so memory is not the problem. But I still haven't been able to get his package files...something is stripping his file attachments.

But the more I think about the command line issue, the more that I think your Shift key is sticking somehow. After all, to type a ! at the end of a command requires that you press the shift-1 key. And if that shift key is still down when you press Enter, then it's going to give you a newline instead of sending it.

That might be. I am going to get a new keyboard and shall see. However, that doesn't explain why the macro just stops working and some other stuff.

I sent the package file again today and named it oldguy.pkg just to make sure you realize it is me. I sent it to support and sales both.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:44 am   

Well, if the Shift key is getting stuck somehow, then when you press your macro key CMUD would see Shift-key instead of just key. Although it seems like if the Shift key was stuck that you'd see that when you typed in the command line.

You might try assigning something to the Shift-key macro corresponding to your normal key and see if the Shift macro ever fires sometimes instead.

I got an email at support without any attachment, but I haven't gotten any email at all in the sales account. Is there some other mail program you can try? Or maybe you can post the file somewhere where I can download it?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:11 am   

www.yousendit.com is free (you don't need to enter a valid recipient, send it to a random mailinator.com account. You'll be given the link once it's uploaded, which you can then PM to Zugg.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: