Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:53 am   

What I would like in zMapper

These are some things which I've mentioned and some others have mentioned that would be nice in the future of zMapper.
  • Plugins - The ability to add features to zMapper to help design areas. Adding this feature would let 3rd parties go out and make most of the rest of these features.
  • RPG Engine - So that a DM/GM can run a game of AD&D with it. Adding in multi-map/screen support (ie: a player screen and a GM screen) would be really helpful for this part.
  • Convert to code - A way to design areas in zMapper and then using zMapper convert them directly to mud code using some sort of template system so that I can be lazy and layout areas in zMapper with exits, descriptions, and then hit a button to lay it out in LPC (or language of choice).
  • Network - Without much trouble, zMapper could be used to map networks, but I'm not sure if Zugg'll want to go in this direction.

These are some of the things I could see using zMapper for. Anyone else have any things they'd like to see out of zMapper?
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:04 am   

I would like more options for customizing the map:

Room preferences for indoor/outdoor, night/day, and key room types: shops/pawn/inns/housing.

Color options for movement links.

Color options for room borders as well as contents.

A color filter system similar to triggers that would define the color based on certain criterion, such as: door, one-way, both, or neither; for movement links.

A place to enter keywords in preferences of rooms and links for defining more in-depth criterion.

Let one way directions end in a more visible arrow, and instead of being fixed to the sides/corners of the room, link them to the center with a variable distance from center able to be set.

Let non cardinal links display a title on the map (toggle, only if included in link preferences), centered and parallel to its link line

Let the mapper gag out room descriptions (toggle) so the map can still get all the data and people can still have a type of 'brief mode'.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:15 am   

Room properties that can be associated with images and that can affect the speedwalk calculation (more has been posted on that already). Giving a room a certain property will cause that image to be overlaid on the room. Adding another property will cause another graphic to be overlaid. Optional intelligent behaviour to try and make the graphics not be directly on top of each other, but instead move to a free transparent part of the room to sit on (if they are smaller than the room). Examples of these properties may be: water source; horse; boat; food; money; trail; coach; ferry; no-ride; dark; etc.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:35 am   

Quote:
Link them to the center with a variable distance from center able to be set.

You should already be able to do that. In the Exit Properties for a room, each exit should have a Dx,Dy value that can be used to adjust the arrow (or door) position on the side of the room.
Quote:
Color options for room borders as well as contents.

You can kind of do that already using a custom room shape. The problem is that you need to create a different room type for each color border that you want. Since the border (line) color is settable independently from the "fill" color, I should be able to allow it to be adjusted in the future pretty easily.
Quote:
Color options for movement links.

You should already be able to do this with custom exit links. Try creating a new exit type in the Palette.

Keep in mind that some of the stuff you are asking for are actually CMUD features and not zMapper features. zMapper doesn't know anything about MUDs. It's just a map generation program. Only CMUD knows about stuff like triggers, room descriptions, etc. I understand that it can be hard to determine whether something is a CMUD or zMapper feature.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:04 am   

The thing is, i dont want to go in and have to make dozens of new custom objects, i would rather just apply a filter, and it would inwardly do a mapquery and set things according to the filter.

Saves a LOT of time, and is user friendlier to boot.

Not to mention i wouldn't then be required to send who knows how many bitmap objects along with the map to ensure others could see it how i intended it to be.

Seeing as how CMUD and C/zMapper are designed to work together... i see nothing to stop the features of one to work with the features of the other.

On one-way exits i see no way to move the arrow side away from the room you end up in, only the side that you start from; nor a way to fix it onto the center of the room instead of a point along the perimeter. Any chance this can be a click and drag pointer based on the center of the room's coords and the pointer coords?

Just Brainstorming here mind you. Idea
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:35 pm   

It might be nice if say CMUD-Pro, or whatever, included various bitmaps / graphics for some of the most common room types and links... I've made several bitmaps myself, but they're pretty amateur. Anyway, just an idea - my maps actually do look fairly nice (and functional) if you don't look too closely, but it would save other people time making them and might be another selling point.
ZeeTy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:17 am   

Seb wrote:
It might be nice if say CMUD-Pro, or whatever, included various bitmaps / graphics for some of the most common room types and links... I've made several bitmaps myself, but they're pretty amateur. Anyway, just an idea - my maps actually do look fairly nice (and functional) if you don't look too closely, but it would save other people time making them and might be another selling point.

do you have any links where I can view your works?
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:31 pm   

ZeeTy wrote:
Seb wrote:

do you have any links where I can view your works?

OK, sure:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WtCkiUwzhq6j0COozdsBV3FnPU61nMMM?usp=sharing
or:
https://sites.google.com/view/mume-maps-zmud-zmapper-cmud/home
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: