Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:01 pm   

LP5 Unpacking error for AOL users

AOL recently released an update to their "Safety and Security Center" that includes a anti-Spyware program called Pest Control. There is a bug in Pest Control (which is actually made by Computer Associates and rebranded by AOL) that prevents any software using the Armadillo copy protection system from working (which is what zMUD/CMUD uses). Running an Armadillo-protected program on a system with Pest Control results in the LP5 error that you are getting.

Computer Associates has already released an update to Pest Control that fixed the issue (so if you are using Computer Associates Pest Control, please update it). However, AOL has been slow to respond to this update. AOL is apparently aware of the problem, so hopefully they will release an update soon to fix this situation.

In the meantime, here is a link to instructions that you can use to temporarily uninstall the AOL Spyware Pest Control software:

http://help.channels.aol.com/kjump.adp?articleId=220683#faq2

NOTE: zMUD/CMUD does NOT contain any Spyware. The LP5 error is the result of a bug in the CA/AOL Pest Control software.

I apologize for the trouble you are having. Hopefully AOL will fix this situation soon, but feel free to contact AOL tech support to complain about this problem. The more people who complain, maybe the quicker they will fix it.

-------------------------
Advanced Users: If you are comfortable with editing your system registry, there is a workaround for this problem that involves adding zMUD or CMUD to the exclusion list for Pest Control. Note that making a mistake when editing your system registry can potentially cause Windows to stop working, so only edit your registry if you know what you are doing.

To add zMUD or CMUD to the Pest Control exclusion list, perform the following steps:

1) Run REGEDIT
2) Go to the HKLM\Software\ComputerAssociates\ITMRT key
3) Go to HookExclude subKey
4) Add ZMUD.EXE or CMUD.EXE to the list
5) Go to InjectExclude subKey
6) Add ZMUD.EXE or CMUD.EXE to the list
7) Exit RegEdit and REBOOT your computer.

Last edited by Zugg on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delwing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:51 am   

I'm not AOL user, and I have same error problem. What might be cause of that? I really don't know :/
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:37 pm   

Are you using Pest Control software from CA?
Delwing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:16 pm   

Nope. What does this error means? Where should I look for? What kind of software can cause it?
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:02 pm   

Spyware detection software will give you this error if they haven't updated their profiles for cmud.
Delwing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:08 pm   

But I don't have any... Only script blocker I have is avast!, but I switched it off and there is still same error.
Iceclaw
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:10 am   

too bad that all of these spyware blockers are starting to have so many false positives. I guess its a good thing that practicing safe computing practices works so well.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:33 pm   

Delwing, you need to send an email to support@zuggsoft.com about this. Mention that you do not use AOL and are still getting the LP5 error. In general, the LP5 error means that there is some other software running on your computer that is preventing CMUD from loading. While AOL and the CA Pest Control are the most common culprits, there might be other software that is interferring with it. But we can really only help debug your specific situation via private email.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:45 pm   

Looks like AOL resolved this issue, so I'm removing this thread from the sticky topics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: