Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
lupusfatalis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:10 am   

Connectivity Issues

Alright... I've run into quite a strange problem. So, let me give a little background info. Basically, I'm currently using zmud to play a mud called 'dartmud' from my college campus. Well, during the peak hours, which coincides with my play time, I lag excessively (if I'm lucky) or lose my connection completely. On off peak hours zmud runs beautifully. Anyhow, obviously I didn't decide to post and inform you all that my connection while at college blows. No, the problem is. I've tried connecting to the same mud, at the same times using PuTTY. PuTTY not only works, but the lag issues that I would have expected also disappear. Now, this is all well and good... But I obviously don't want to use PuTTY to mud. Least of all in a pk/permakilling mud. So, I've been trying to get Zmud to work. First I tried fiddling with settings, but largely I'm not sure what to try, so after a while I set them back to what they were and decided to try something else. I attempted running it through a proxy. First, using Cygwin and netcat to create a proxy through which I run zmud. This proxy actually doesn't give zmud any referance to 'dartmud.com:2525.' Instead its built to forward things from one destination to anything connected on a local port. I get the proxy working fine, but peak hours and zmud dies again. Secondly, I tried tunnelling through PuTTY by creating an SSH server on my computer. Again, I get the proxy to work, but it doesn't work during peak hours. I would like to note, the telnet that is packaged with WinXP Pro also doesn't work. Nor does MUSHClient. ...In fact, the ONLY thing I found that works is PuTTY.
Does anyone possibly have a solution to this problem? Or for that matter any idea 'why' this is happening?
baldguy633

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:00 pm   

Try disabling mccp and other options within Zmud?

It could also be excessive triggering. Dartmud can be pretty spammy.
rick247

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:11 pm   

I think I have the exact same problem. I'm at college, and the mud I play lags horribly during peak hours. I've tried several other mud clients, but they all get the same lag. Nothing works except PuTTy. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: