Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:56 am   

[1.13] Do we have enough bugs for a midweek release?

It seems to me like, collectively, we have found a number of parser and compiler bugs, plus other major issues, already since 1.13 was released. And I want to try the compatibility report and it doesn't work for me! *whine* So any chance, Zugg, of a mid-week release? *blink* Wink
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 am   

I doubt that is going to happen, if you've not noticed there seem to have been no replies by Zugg to any of the bug reports since 1.13 was released. I suspect he's taking a much deserved rest to come back fresh and quash the bugs, or perhaps he's concentrating very hard on killing a particularly nasty bug.
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:12 pm   

There was one reply on Sunday. Bu yes, I had noticed, and figured he might be having a day off. However, it does now look like it might be more...
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:12 pm   

Zugg is fine.

I abducted him and forced him to take 2 days off IN A ROW just like regular people.

He'll be back at full speed today.

Chiara
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:12 pm   

Sorry I disappeared for a couple of days. Chiara was getting a bit tired of me only taking one day off each week. Since I worked on Sat, we took Sun/Mon for our weekend.

This will probably become a more typical schedule. I'll do a release before my weekend to give people time to report bugs while I'm gone.

But no, I have no plans for a mid-week release. There are actually less problems with this release than many of the previous ones. But because of the big email announcement last week, we have many more people using CMUD now, so we are going to get more bug reports. That was the purpose of the email announcement and the discount offer...to get more beta testers.

I'll continue with my normal schedule of weekly releases. I've learned in the past that if I release new versions more often than weekly, then people get too far behind on upgrades and get overwhelmed. Even weekly releases cause this problem to some extent. It's better for me to focus on bug fixing and fix as much as I can before each weekly release.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:51 pm   

Hmm, actually Seb, you might have a point. I didn't realize how messed up this beta version has become at importing (or not) *.MUD files from zMUD. I don't know what caused this to break or exactly when it broke, but it just doesn't import anything properly. No wonder people are so upset!

And, of course, the bug with pressing Enter not sending a blank line is a showstopper that prevents people from playing.

So, I'll see if I can get the MUD file import working again. And maybe I'll release something sooner than Saturday. I'm not going to get very many useful bug reports in the state that it's in right now.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:16 pm   

Yes, less bug reports today than yesterday and Sunday on the forum since perhaps people found a few show-stopping bugs (or other issues) for them, submitted their bugs and went back to zMUD.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:58 pm   

Well, the problem importing MUD files is actually less of a problem with the conversion as it is a problem with the settings editor. This seems to be a side result of some of the performance changes to the settings editor that is causing it to not display the correct packages or package tabs. Looks like those performance optimizations are going to be more complicated then I thought, so I take back what I said about a quick release. This is going to take a while to figure out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: