Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Sandi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:31 am   

Trojan / virus possiblities?

This may be a silly concern, and I certainly don't want to start any rumors, but it just occurred to me after reading that chat forums and even .jpgs are dangerous these days that Pueblo, with it's HTML compatibility, is likely a major risk.

Some MUDs I've logged into with zMUD have displayed embedded images, so I'm wondering if my longtime internet companion is safe?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:22 am   

You should be fine. The JPG vulnerability in Windows was fixed a long time ago. The best way to protect yourself is to always make sure you run Windows Update regularly and install the patches listed there. And always run a updated virus checker. I've been using the AVG virus protection for a while and really like it (and there is a free version for home use).

The other decision I personally made was to switch to Firefox and stop using Internet Explorer. The security issues with HTML have very little to do with HTML itself. It's more about the Internet Explorer HTML rendering engine and the security flaws that it had. That's why zMUD doesn't use Internet Explorer to render HTML.
Sandi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:23 pm   

Thanks, Mr Z.

I too use Firefox. I might try AVG. I'd use Linux to be really safe, but there's no substitute for zMUD!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: