Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Kotte

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:56 pm   

To use DB or %grep?

I have a textfile with a few hundred entries looking like this:

Roomname - Direction : Hiddenname

Roomname can be several words and I have a trigger setting the roomname to a variable. I load the file with #File 1 "myfile.txt", and use #SHOW %grep( 1, @RoomName) to catch every line containing the roomname. Then I have six triggers that sets the hiddenexit like this: #TR {- North : (%w)$} {#VAR HiddenExitNorth %1} etc. All nice and dandy but a problem occurs whenever a roomname is shorter and triggers lines with longer roomnames containing the short one. E.g. Back of a Valley Cave vs Cave. Would this be easier to solve with a database or has someone got a nice function to help me?
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:37 pm   

If you provide a more narrowly focused regular expression to %grep, you can eliminate the extraneous results. For example, to find "Cave" and not "Back of a Valley Cave," you would search with %grep(1, "^Cave \-") to anchor the text at beginning and end (assuming the format of your file as you have posted it, of course).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: