Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Aeri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:16 pm   

Help please.

Hey everyone. I have just began to play around with zMUD, and I am falling in love with it. I am running into a jam right now, however.

When something engages me I get an emit that looks like something like this:
An enormous illusionary grublin engages Aeri.

The critter in question will always have two words before its attacking word. Like a small muscular grublin. The problem I am running into is trying to capture the grublin into an alias so I can use triggers for attacking. Here is what I did to try to capture it. I know it is probably horribly wrong, but I'm trying!

Trigger: %s{engages}%s{@VMychar}
Value:
critter_name {%1}
attack @VCritter
do_set_tick

critter_name will store the name in @VCritter, and do_set_tick is my way of waiting for the RT to be over.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:01 pm   

Not sure what you mean by attacking word, but if you mean that you can attack it with the word illusionary or muscular, then try this:

Trigger: %w %w (%w) %* {@VMychar}
Value:
critter_name {%1}
attack @VCritter
do_set_tick

I think this would work. I only assume that it's on illusionary or muscular since you said 2 words before.
illusionary and muscular are the 3rd words.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:09 pm   

Trigger: (%w) engages Aeri.$
Value:
#var VCritter {%1}
attack @VCritter
do_set_tick

There are a few things to note about this. I've assumed there is only one space between the words hence no use of %s to match on multiple white space. There is no point in passing the critter name to an alias to set the variable for it unless the alias does a few other things besides just setting the variable so I've set it directly in the trigger actions. I have hard coded your character name into the trigger and assumed that the pattern has a carriage return after your character name, hence the $ anchor. If you want to put in the character name in such a way that it can be used for another of your characters then you can use the built in function %char unless of course you have already developed a lot of other aliases that already use your VMychar variable.

Trigger: (%w) engages %char.$ --- Using the built in %char variable with an end of line anchor
Trigger: (%w) engages %char --- Using the built in %char variable without an anchor
Trigger: (%w) engages @VMychar.$ --- Using your already created variable for your character and an end of line anchor
Trigger: (%w) engages @VMychar --- Using your already created variable for your character without an anchor

With the patterns for the ones without the end of line anchor I've also not included the fullstop as there won't be much of a speed increase with it, there should be a speed increase with the anchor as it knows to only check from the end of the line and in that case the fullstop is needed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:51 am   

Awesome.. I get what you are saying about the %s. Was a lame mistake. One more question. I get it to capture "grublin" but how would I go about capturing all three words of the critter?

Thanks guys! That was some great advice that will help me improve all my scripts.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:21 pm   

Code:
#TRIGGER {(%w %w %w) engages %char.$} {#var VCritter {%1}}

Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:21 pm   

so, ya want to capture "enormous illusionary grublin", but attack on "grublin"?

I'm sure there's a better way, damned if I can think of one except for this:
Make 2 triggers.

1) Taz'
Trigger: (%w) engages Aeri.$

2) and This
Trigger: {An|A} (%*) engages Aeri.$

The 2nd one should be the capture.
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:23 pm   

Don't use %*, ever. It's bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. Just use * instead.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:21 pm   

I would use something like #TRIGGER {(*) engages Aeri.$} {#VAR VCritter=%word("%1",%numwords("%1"));Rest of Code here}

This will take the whole string and return the last word.

I.E "The Damn Critter" will store Critter in VCritter and "A Silly Grublin" would become "grublin"

Zmud has a lot of powerful %functions to manipulate strings and variables.
Aeri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:29 pm   

This is great guys! The script works fine, and I was able to incorporate the hunting script in with ease. Thanks!
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:14 pm   

Larkin, Don't use (%*) but use (*)? Mind if I ask the difference? I've used (%*) in a few of my scripts and have yet to run into a problem.

nexela, *drool* Question did you mean to use #var or #func? never been able to figure out when to use which for what. Even after all that you and I went thru with that roster script of mine with the #func's.
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:58 pm   

Just like its printed its a variable. Making it into a function is only worth it if you are using it in a lot of places in your script, Take a look at my Finished script about removing post/pretitles for a function example http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24184&highlight=legendmud
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:40 am   

Quote:

Larkin, Don't use (%*) but use (*)? Mind if I ask the difference? I've used (%*) in a few of my scripts and have yet to run into a problem.

* and %* are very similar, in that they will match letters, numbers, symbols, and whitespace. This by itself can be a bad thing, as you might match the wrong line and thus gain invalid data. This bad data could cause your script to hang, and that in turn could cause bad things to happen to your character (ie, if you suddenly stopped fighting in combat, you'd probably die).

The truly dangerous aspect of %* is that it matches ANY symbolic character, including the symbols representing the ZMud special characters. These special characters remain active within the script, making it possible for other people to insert commands and scripts of their own into your settings file. Guess how helpful those are. Wink

Now, all of that said, * and %* are not at all dangerous if you aren't using parentheses and working with the stored data. Without that, there's no opportunity for mischief to be had.
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:18 am   

Thank you, Matt, for explaining more elegantly the point I was trying to make and saving me the time of looking it up. :)
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:00 pm   

Shocked
:runs off to remove the (%*)'s and replace them with (*)'s
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: