Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Kerrida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:44 pm   

Special Characters Settings

One thing I cannot find is the settings for assigning or disabling special characters. A MUD I play uses the ; for special emotes, but I cant find how to make Cmud not use it as a command separator like I could in zMUD.

ANy help?
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:33 pm   

Go to Options>General. When the option screen opens up look on the left for Scripting and click on it. Then, on the right you will see a tab for Special Characters. That is what you want.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:27 am   

Also, you should be aware that changing special characters currently doesn't work very well in CMUD.
Kerrida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:20 pm   

Thanks for the help! Not too worried about changing it, just wanted it turned off. I don't really use any of the special functions of zMUD.. was too lazy to work with it, lol.. and thusly don't expect to really put all the capabilities of cMUD to use.
BlackSmith
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:27 am   

Zugg wrote:
Also, you should be aware that changing special characters currently doesn't work very well in CMUD.
Is there any reason to use this special character hulabaloo in first place? Why not simply use perl for pattern recongization?
When you use perl you could import anyones triggers wihout need for translation from his settings to yours.
jpolen2
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:21 am   

BlackSmith wrote:
Is there any reason to use this special character hulabaloo in first place? Why not simply use perl for pattern recongization?
When you use perl you could import anyones triggers wihout need for translation from his settings to yours.

Probably because not all of us are particularly well versed in regexps. I know that I personally find them more than a little daunting.
BlackSmith
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:44 am   

But learning a totaly new "coding" language was not? You have to have started making those patterns in some point, in either perl or in z/cmuds patterns. Anyway you had to learn a new thing to do.

Yes, making those patters perl exclusive would force current non-perl users to push that convert button, but new users would then again use such language that would work with everyone regaldes what specail charactes they want to use.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:27 pm   

I think what it was is that some of us felt the niceties of the original pattern recognition and its documentation within zMUD, and when regex support was added, even though it is better learning it was a little more complicated.

But Special Characters don't just have to do with pattern recognition (though you would probably still need the quote character even with regex). The characters are ones that are built in to do specific things (; for separation, > for direction, etc), and so there is obviously a need to have them and to make available a way to change or disable them. I know that I've written some text in a mud where I put a semi-colon in it. Really screwed up my writing too.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:38 pm   

Most "normal" people find true regular expressions *very* hard to read and understand. The original zMUD trigger language came from the old TINTIN unix clients. And actually, zMUD triggers existed before Perl was widely used (although I was also playing with early versions of Perl when zMUD was written and that's where some ideas also came from). The normal zMUD trigger syntax is more like what people using wildcards in filenames are used to. Most people expect * to just match anything, whereas in a regular expression you have to use .*

Remember that many people use zMUD because the scripting is *easier* than normal programming languages. There will *always* be something new to learn no matter what I do. But I have ten years of experience with this listening to *all* users and I know that if I made RegEx the default, I would get a *lot* more support emails.

And as Dumas said, the Special Characters really don't have anything to do with the trigger matching. Special Characters were put into zMUD early on because of issues with the command line. When zMUD started using ; for command separation (like tintin) and . for speedwalking paths, there were certain MUDs that already used these characters, so there needed to be some way to turn them off.

Because the zMUD parser for scripts is the exact same parser used in the command line, zMUD needed a way to let the user change these characters.

In CMUD, the script parser/compiler is separate from the command line, and special characters can be different in different packages. So you can use $ for your variable character instead of @ and your package will still work in CMUD no matter what the user has changed their own characters to. This solves the problem that zMUD had with exchanging scripts with different special characters.

OK, that's the background. But CMUD added a new feature called the "smart command line" which performs more syntax checking of your command line entry to determine if it's a valid command or if it should be sent to the MUD.

So, back to Kerrida's original post: If your MUD uses the ; character to start a command, then you should be able to use that within CMUD already without needing to change the special characters. Give it a try...it should already work the way you expect.

What I'm trying to do in CMUD with the new command line is to phase out the need for Special Characters.
Kerrida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:23 pm   

Zugg wrote:
So, back to Kerrida's original post: If your MUD uses the ; character to start a command, then you should be able to use that within CMUD already without needing to change the special characters. Give it a try...it should already work the way you expect.

Unfortunately it did not, thus why I was asking. Here's an example of what I was meaning.

In Threshold, each Guild has its own 'chat' channel accessed by using the guildname. It actually has several options for it.

examples: mage Hiyas! (Sends the message tot he entire guild)
mage (lists who in the guild is on)
mage ;greet PERSON (perform 'greet' emote over guild chat with said argument)

When I try to do the emotes over the link it simply does a listing of who is on, and then attempts to perform the emote in the room I am in ( thusly treating it as 2 commands)

Also, CMUD seems to not want to save the settings of the Special Characters, and does not let them take effect until I disconnect and reconnect to the game.
Kerrida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:34 pm   

Zugg wrote:

Unfortunately it did not, thus why I was asking. Here's an example of what I was meaning.

In Threshold, each Guild has its own 'chat' channel accessed by using the guildname. It actually has several options for it.

examples: mage Hiyas! (Sends the message tot he entire guild)
mage (lists who in the guild is on)
mage ;greet PERSON (perform 'greet' emote over guild chat with said argument)

When I try to do the emotes over the link it simply does a listing of who is on, and then attempts to perform the emote in the room I am in ( thusly treating it as 2 commands)

Also, CMUD seems to not want to save the settings of the Special Characters, and does not let them take effect until I disconnect and reconnect to the game.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:44 pm   

Ahh, I see, that's a pretty wierd syntax. Never seen that before. It's a pretty poor choice for the MUD to make since ; has been used for multiple commands in MUD clients since the old TinTin days.

You can always put a ~ character before the ; to prevent CMUD from parsing it, or you can put " quotes around the entire command to force CMUD to send it to the MUD without parsing. Or you can press Ctrl-R or turn off parsing in the menu or click on the parse icon to the right of the command line to toggle parsing on and off.

Or, you can wait until one of the next versions of CMUD to fix the special character saving bugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: