Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Falsenroth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:21 pm   

background music

In zmud, I believe this was possible because the running midi file would be replaced when the next midi file was triggered.

However, since cmud can play up to 32 sounds simultaneously regardless of file type, this is not possible.

Perhaps a #PLAYBG option could be introduced, where only one file plays at a time. Therefore, if you come to an area where your trigger fires off, you don't have multiple BG's playing at the same time. Instead, the BG would change.

It would also be nice if there was a sound looping option.

To a lesser extent, this could apply to ambient sounds, like rushing water. Maybe certain sounds could be triggered and ended by entering or leaving certain rooms.
Falsenroth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:35 pm   temporary and random bg

There are also situations like combat where a different type of music is necessary.

Perhaps a temporary BG command could be introduced that when triggered replaces the BG, but when the file finishes or another trigger is signalled, the normal BG is resumed.

it'd also be nice if sounds could be randomized, like if you bashed an ogre, you'd get a random sound out of 4 possiblilities.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:53 pm   

#CASE %random(1,4) {#PLAY file1} {#PLAY file2} {#PLAY file3} {#PLAY file4}
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:48 pm   

I probably won't introduce yet another command for this. I'll probably just extend the current #PLAY command. What I'd like to eventually implement is a "channel" system where you can set up different music and sound channels and then control whether multiple sounds are allowed in a channel, whether a channel loops, etc. Then you can change the music playing without having to mess with the channel properties all the time.

Now that CMUD supports DirectSound and DirectShow, there are a lot of possibilities for improvement, but those will need to wait until the core part of CMUD is working better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: