Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion
kyros
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:41 pm   

CMUD Outrage

You should have given all current zmud users a free license for 2 years in the development stage. When we bought zmud you said free upgrades for life. Now you are going to stop development. Considering my life isn't ended, how is that free upgrades for life? Doesn't that breech contract of purchase? I am just mainly curious. I think you should give all zmud users the beta free contract offer. I probably could get my money back, even if it's 30 dollars for that breech. It's not the money, it's the principle of it.

Some reference from you zugg in other posts and sayings about free upgrades forever:

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9110&highlight=free+upgrades+for+life
Quote:

b) No public version of zMUD in 2 years. Lots of people don't like to buy BETA software. Even though long-timers know that I'll have a public version out and they understand the value of free upgrades forever, some new users might not trust this.

Same URL:
Quote:
Buy a second license for zMUD. Yes, upgrades are always free and I'm never going to force anyone to pay for upgrades. But if you have been using zMUD for many many years and gotten many hours of enjoyment out of it and want to see it continue to improve, buying another reg code is a good way to donate and help improve sales.

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16491&highlight=free+upgades

Quote:
As I mentioned in one of the other threads, I haven't yet promised that all versions of eMobius will be free (free upgrades) like I did with zMUD. Before I do this, I want to collect opinions from other people. I consider the people currently reading this forum as real core customers and want to make sure that I an not losing that valuable type of user with eMobius.

So, think back to when you bought zMUD...was the fact that upgrades were free, forever a big factor in your decision to buy zMUD? Is the free upgrade policy a big factor in providing help in these forums to other users (or as Gurus)?

Just a few references, I know there are more. I bought zmud on the notion I wouldn't have to pay for another client ever again. You stop supporting zmud I will no longer getting my free upgrades for life as promised. So what can we do to resolve this? Can I get my money back? I do understand you have to pay the bills but you need to fufill the obligation you promised to your users who bought the software. You broke that contract.
slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:33 pm   

Is your zMud just going to stop working? No.

Does zMud still do everything it has done in the past? Yes.

Is zMud a powerful, and stable product? Yes.

None of that changes. If he starts charging for upgrades of zMud, then he broke his contract.

Being as CMud has a completely different backend than zMud, then it isn't the same product. It's just a new mud client brought to you buy the same software vendor.

Dude, calm down.
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:41 pm   

Cmud was just created so he could get more money. If it was a completely different program and mud client, why is he offering people who recently bought zmud, cmud for free? All zmud buyers should have the opertunity for the same.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:02 pm   

Shoo, begone troll
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:00 am   

You have every right to be upset. But CMUD is a completely different product than zMUD. In comparable terms, you can't complain to Microsoft that you had to pay for WinXP when you had Win98 or some other recent version of it just because for that product their fixes and updates were free.

If you don't want to buy CMUD, don't.
slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:36 am   

A _LOT_ of companies do such things. If a person bought a product right before the new one came out, they'll give a special upgrade offer. Sometimes it is completely free, sometimes is it significantly discounted. Some even have services that you can purchase to make sure you get those upgrades within a certain amount of time from when you bought.

You obviously haven't dealt with many independant software vendors (heck, even Microsoft has done it).
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:27 am   

I can't afford CMud, I am on a tight budget right now, The current offer I have from zuggsoft. I can't get, it sucks. Stupid money :(
Leto
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:02 pm   

Zugg wrote:
No matter what I do, some people will be upset. This is something I'll need to get used to with CMUD since some people will probably also be upset that I just didn't upgrade zMUD for free. But there was no way for me to do that. Upgrading zMUD with the features planned for CMUD was too much work not to get paid for. I couldn't stay in business that way. The alternatives were either A) stop supporting zMUD and go out of business, or B) write a new program and get paid for it and for it's continued improvements and support. I choose option (B).

It's either pay for CMud or nothing at all.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:32 pm   

You are dealing once again with different perceptions of the same situation.

I.E. Zuggs Perception

No matter what I do, some people will be upset. This is something I'll need to get used to with CMUD since some people will probably also be upset that I just didn't upgrade zMUD for free. But there was no way for me to do that. Upgrading zMUD with the features planned for CMUD was too much work not to get paid for. I couldn't stay in business that way. The alternatives were either A) stop supporting zMUD and go out of business, or B) write a new program and get paid for it and for it's continued improvements and support. I choose option (B).
(OLDER PPL GOT MORE USE OUT OF THEIR ZMUD)

I.E Older Purchasers Perception

We bought a product when it in development and most likely without those original purchases and time spent bug fixing there wouldnt be quite the product or support you see today. We deserve to be the ones getting a break.

I.E. Newer Purchasers Perception

We just purchased it why should we be forced to pay we havent used it yet.

NOW --> Since the MS issue was brought up again if you go out to the store and buy WIN2000 you arent getting xp for free cause you were silly enough to buy it the day before its released. So be happy you get it for free.

Old Users --> I still struggle with this one myself as we have gone over this on a few threads. I would rather have the choice to purchase many things to support zugg than being forced into a corner. I would gladly give my money as i think he has done a wonderful job. However i know a few people like myself who have been resiliant due to feeling like they were forced in a corner. Typically the OLDEST users of zmud have the most in depth scripting knowledge and will benefit the most from writing scripts for CMUD. As such in order to maintain that excellence I must move with the new product. However since i didnt get to purchase by choice but rather by ultimatum i will feel a bit cornered and thusly wouldnt purchase even though i think its worth every dollar.

Zugg --> Hes got bills, family, etc we all do. As such he needs to ensure the stability of his life. Not only to continue development on a product worthwhile but to maintain what i call in my business "A QUALITY OF LIFE" that suits him. As such like it or not this is the way it is. Everyone can say what they will. Money is definatly a big reason for the change. He deserves it but dont hide behind the fact its not for money. I am sure he loves what he does.. I have no doubt. None the less you cant live off $0.00. He WANTS to continue to develop his product but at the same time ensure financial survival of his company so that he can make more developments because its what he enjoys.

I think there could have been a big comprimise in here but there wasnt.

End story ---> This is how it is now like it or not. Either way you have zmud to use no problem.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:44 pm   

We've gone over this many times before. CMUD is a different product from zMUD. Since it isn't an upgrade to zMUD, charging for CMUD doesn't break Zugg's promise of "free upgrades for life". If for some reason a new upgrade to zMUD is necessary in the future, Zugg will provide this for free. Right now, however, development of zMUD has ended.

Does it seem like Zugg made CMUD a different product from zMUD to get out of the "free upgrades for life" promise? Yes, it does. But this doesn't change the fact that it is a new product and thus Zugg has no obligation to provide it for free.

The free and discounted licenses of CMUD that he gives to some zMUD users is just an extra perk that should not ever be taken to mean that CMUD is an upgrade to zMUD. Of course, this means that no matter how Zugg decided to do this "gift", some people would get upset. But there's nothing he can do about it. In fact, he didn't even have to give anyone free or discounted licenses for CMUD. He was in all his right to just charge everyone full-price for CMUD. But he chose not to go that route.

Whoever can't or won't pay for CMUD should just continue using zMUD. The product is not going to suddenly stop working. But lets not try to make it seem as though Zugg has any obligation to give anyone CMUD for free, because he doesn't.
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:34 am   

Kjata you might want to make sure you direct things that like at whoever you are talking to.

[quote]
free upgrades for life
[/code]

Also this term was the lifetime of the product NOT YOUR LIFETIME. Zmuds life span in usability and compatibility has come up and been replaced.
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:48 am   

I think this has been flogged enough and the points have been discussed.

Locked this topic so we can focus on zMUD General Discussion issues we can fix.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: