Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chris-74269
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:55 pm   

priority in triggers

in the trigger options, what is up with the values in the priority window?
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:10 pm   

decides where in line it falls. although i admit the 2650 numbers etc are a bit confusing i guess it gives us lots of room :P
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:09 pm   

It was done for performance reasons. As edb mentioned, it gives room for inserting/changing priorities. Currently, CMUD makes the priority 10 times the "index" number, which is the order in which settings are created. This gives room for inserting other items without having to renumber every setting.

Remember that CMUD is using a database. The priority is a field stored in the database for each trigger. If you dragged/dropped a trigger into a new priority order, then normally CMUD would need to update every database record after that to add one to all of the priorities. By leaving some space between priorities, it significantly reduces the number of database records that need to be updated when you change priority orders.

So yes, the large numbers might be a bit confusing to new people, but I think the big performance boost is worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: