Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:59 pm   

Interface quirks

I felt that there might be a usefulness to starting a thread for discussion of any interface quirks people have found in CMUD. They are not necessarily things that crash the client, but they aren't behaving the way we'd expect or like.

For example, I create a new variable or alias and the cursor focus goes to the Name field. That's great, and now I can name my new setting. However, I like to use keyboard shortcuts for a lot of things and I hit tab to move to the Value field. What I find is that the "Text" tab is selected but the cursor is not inside the edit box, and so I can't just start typing what I want as the command or value.

What other little things have you found like this?
Deagan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:55 pm   

The one thing that I have seen and never realized how much I would miss it is the ability to switch from various windows using the ALT w <number>. I don't see the quick key there, so I hope it does return or if there is another way of switching windows and I'm just missing it.

Deags
Ceres
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 pm   

For the most part I like the speed by which you can configure the application to appear as you wish however the following are a major problem:
    1. New windows will not be restored after shutting down the application.
    2. Changing the appearance of the toolbars is not saved between restarts.
    3. The mapper does not save the grid spacing after shutting down the application.

In my opinion all three of the aforementioned items need to occur seemlessly if CMUD is to be successful with the majority of M* players who are not generally coders. Users should simply have to move/create/alter the GUI and these be retained without having to jump through the hoops which zMud forced them to.
Aarlot
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:42 pm   

One minor thing I have noticed with dual monitors. With my current resolution settings (1024x768 on the main screen, 1280x768 on the secondary screen), when the window is maximized in the main screen there is a small line of grey edge that leaks over onto my second screen for some reason. Not a major issue, just a quirk.
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:26 pm   

I see the same thing with it maximized on my multi-monitor display. I have 1600x1200 on both screens. It spills over to the other monitor regardless of which one I maximize it on. I'm glad you mentioned that because I hadn't even realized that CMUD started full screen but not maximized until now.
Aeolus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:11 pm   

Somewhat minor but when in the editor, if you mouse over the menu options, the file, edit, and format come up showing &File, &Edit, and &Format respectively. I assume its not meant to be that way since it wasnt before, and the other two options are not doing it.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:34 pm   

Also FILE AND FORMAT BOTH ARE ALT F and under format the SYNTAX CHECKER has no link
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:25 pm   

Two of the quirks I'm finding annoying is the scroll wheel / scrollback offsets (I have sent a feedback report on this) and the command line not recalling when you type a couple of letters and push 'up'. For example I might do something like 'goto 1234' 'n' 'n' 'e' 'rflag safe' then want to go back so I would type 'go<uparrow>' and expect it to come up with 'goto 1234' rather than it just picking the last command (eg 'rflag safe').
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:15 am   

Another one is despite the smart command line, winky smiles ;) and winky tongues out ;P aren't working (well, they are separating at the semi-colon in any case)...
Baram
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:44 am   

Something from zMud(haven't been able to check in cMud, as I can't get buttons to work the way I want them too yet), that I hope will be fixed here.

Mutlistate buttons, There are times I have to hit it 20+ times in order to make it do what I want.

What I have is a script Larkin wrote for me, for our builders. There is a long list of environment types for rooms. We used a mutlistate button to list them all, then acting like a drop-down list you can choose which one you want, and it sends the command: "reh here set environment <type selected>" It does work, sometimes, but most of the time I have to try 5-20 times before it will actually change the value. Larkin said it's something about having text sent from the mud resetting things, but I've tried without any text being sent, and it still does it.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:27 am   

yeah sometimes complex scripts are a little complaintary :) usually thats when i rethink the script and figure out another way to do it. CMUD im sure will bring some much needed resolution in that regard once zugg returns from vacation and starts knocking bugs out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:38 am   

The thing that is annoying me is the fact that the flyout windows flyout as soon as your mouse hovers over them, and they shoot back as soon as your mouse moves off the panel. It would be nice to add a delay in there, so they dont fly out unless your mouse stays over the icon for say 1/10 second and also they dont slide back until your mouse has been off the panel for the same period.
foxedup

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:40 am   

The other panel related issue I see is that the status panel remains out (it might be that it is the bottom panel, which is status on my current setup) even if you dont pin it. To make it disapear you have to get one of the other panels to slide out.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:22 pm   

Another tiny thing I noticed is that if I am on a dialog with check box items and I quickly dart the cursor over an item and away again, it sometimes keeps the check box highlighted like I'm still hovering over it. That could be a side effect of the themes.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:49 pm   

I've also noticed inconsistencies with displaying various settings in the settings editor upon their creation. For example, I did the following:

1. Open settings editor.
2. New Package -> Name = Tester.
3. Save Changes.
4. Select Default Settings package.
5. Select Tester package.

When I get to step 3, I have a package named Tester, but the display seems to show it as a class instead. It has the package icon on the left, but the dialog on the right has the fields for configuring a class. When I select something else and then return to the new package, I get a completely different (and now correct) display for the package properties.

I have noticed other settings doing this as well, showing up one way when first created and then changing when de-selected and re-selected. Creating/deleting/editing things will often display the wrong details or wrong screen at first. The syncrhonization isn't happening as early as it should, I think.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:24 pm   

i have had this happen with my aliases but with more damage being done.

where i select alias a then select alias b and it actually over writes alias b with alias a's value and i have to redo it.

I definatly thing zugg will have his hands full cleaning up these settings issues. There seem to be a great number of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: